Sinister: I came home on Sunday to find Barry's spare leg on our garden path

gina titchener gltitchener at xxx.com
Thu Nov 29 12:10:33 GMT 2001

Don't worry, Barry's a giraffe.

Made out of pink straws (and a few pins).

oh! the joyous by-products of Societies Training day. Yes, your favourite
sinister spin-off, york university's indie soc committee attended above
mentioned course, at 9.30 on a saturday morning and learnt.... how good
chris migmk jones is at building various out-of-proportion african mammals
out of only straws and pins. (he was supposed to be helping in the team
project, to support a golf ball using only, yep, straws and pins, but,
y'know, too many co-chairs spoil the strawsandpins tower. the tower was
called jeff, incidentally).

that was the most fun we had ALL DAY. Except for Mr Hallifax and Ms Boa, who
got given white stripes tickets for that evening and buggered off to
sheffield. grrrhh.

I was going to say many things, but you have all stolen my thunder.
eg,Someone finally got round to pointing out that the gorgeous camera
obscura album came out last week. When it got to the end of last week and
no-one had mentioned it, i was ready to disown you all. It's fab! the
opening line, as a taster, is 'i did the ironing in a cowboy hat'. nearly
the best opener ever, apart from make a new cult every day.... and it
mentions jonny marr. their best tracks are still the b-sides to 80's fan,
one of which degenerates into a felt pastiche in my opinion.

I also thought i was going to be the first to mention going to see pulp but
a geordie beat me (i think). damn him. never mind, i'll say it any ways: we
all went to see pulp, at the barbican (a truly dismal venue i think) and
they were outstanding. jarvis (or b-jarvis as we should all call him, for
reasons i cannot divulge) was on top form and they did loads of old classics
(joyriders, babies) with out resorting to the obvious choices, and made the
new album sound much more exciting than it actually is (:P)

the kitten has a new game: when you are going upstairs, it races you to the
corner where the stairs bend back on itself and then swipes at your face
through the banisters. i think it knows that i hate it.

Other random things: i dreamt that asm stud muffin walton was a siamese twin
joined at the hand (!) to a girl (surely that's impossible? that's dreams
for you). I was Very Very confused by this dream.

Ken Chu intimated that we didn't play any REM at the indiedisco when almost
all the YSM DJed. we did. I was going to relate this scene to you:
#
<langwith dining room, one friday night, lots of smoke, a dj booth that
looks like a market stall>
Punter who has paid to get in to an indie night: why are you playing s club
7?
Me: cos everyone knows it and can dance to it
Punter: but it's not indie
Me: not everyone knows indie music, and you can't dance to it. what's the
point of playing it?
Punter: but it's an indie night! play something different to the usual
commercial stuff.
Me:such as?
Punter: REM, ash, idlewild, pixies, belle and sebastian, pulp, blur,
radiohead, the strokes

so we did

the end
#
but most of it isn't true. the last bit is tho.

is this it? it's gonna have to be luv, a fourier series problems class,with
a man who exhibits all the qualities of a pig genetically engineered to
produce slime like a slug, is looming on the horizon.

IWUTU is marvellous. soon you will all be saying this, for it is true.

roll on tomorrow night, 11.35, BBC2! (any word on what they performed?)

take care
love
gina

PS Johan, i need a reply by tomorrow night!
PPS i have no connection with them at all: i just want to say that i really
like desmond torpey's and dave 'stankin' cooter's posts. so there. keep em
coming.
PPPS shout out to the lurking sinister small (chris c and jo and possibly
the girl i passed wearing the green-boy-and-his-finger badge on monday) and
to EtypeJoe - hope everything is OK.
PPPPS yay to liz daplyn who mentioned animals that swim! is the new album
any good?