Sinister: RE:PEAT: Avant-Goth and the apologisms of non-intellectuals

Joe Vester machiavellian_llama at xxx.com
Thu Nov 29 21:29:54 GMT 2001

OK, since my last post, I have got not inconsiderable amounts of flak for my
point of view on Goths. First, it should be made clear that I do not hate
goths at all, I have just found that all the ones I have met, with one
notable exception have been really irritating. They can look the way they
want, act the way want but like being a B&S fan (according to some):

"It's kinda like being gay... you can see where they're coming from and
respect them for it, but you wouldn't want to do it yourself"...
(courtesy of Mathew Willson)

No, that's not my problem with Goths, I rather like them being there to
liven up the look of the world. My problems with them are:

1-They are very, very pretentious, pretentious people are annoying
2-They are incapable of laughing at themselves, anyone who is like this is a
pain. I know this is similar to pretentiousness, but I felt it was worse.
3-They are cliquey. Cliquey people are just nasty
4-They are obsessed by their image. Taking care over it is one thing, being
vain is another.
5-Goths, for all you may account it to youth, are really fake people to talk
to. They're affected and will just go along with what all the other goths
say so as to fit in.

OK, so those points don't apply to all goths by any means, I understand
that. Neither are they exclusive to goths. There maybe even be more nice
goths other than the one I have met, OK, but the fact is, most Goths are
really annoying.
    I should say that all this come from having met quite a lot of Goths in
my time. I live in middle-class london, which among its main exports lists:

Disaffected Youth
Goths
Wiggas
Indiekids
Twats
Lawyers
Money

And I once went a-wandering in Whitby. Which was scary, but I did sit at the
same table as some goths in a fish and chip shop. Apparently, Whitby is the
Goth capital of Europe.

Finally, I reckon that becoming a Goth is often an attempt a pulling. Which
Justifies it somewhat.

One another note:

Hannah Brown declared me a Headteacher. Does this mean I get to order Ken
around, being as he is a maths teacher?

I have another sinister crush.

I think I may have the beginnings of a crush on my alter-ego Ms. Pancake.

Also, by the way, I have got a mysterious 40kb message from "Lee and Lisa"
before. Is there a virus going round or sommat?

I also have a ridiculous celebrity crush on Thora Birch.

I also have a crush on my friend Dan's sister Sam(antha), who I have never
met but who I talk to on the phone occaisionally. She's 17, I have noooooo
chance.

!VIVA RACHELS!

Rachel "Joe Vester" Pancake

P.S. Alright, this wasn't much of a proper post, more a long-winded
apology/explanation, and I'm sorry, I might do an apology/explanation for
this post too.
P.P.S.I may well go to the Obscured Camera gig. I don't own anything by
them, but I did hear one song on the radio, and it was v.cool.
P.P.P.S.I forgot to have pancakes as I was in a rush, I will have them
tomorrow. Maybe I should buy some Maple Syrup.
P.P.P.P.S. I like having all these new Brazilian types on the list.
P.P.P.P.P.S. I sometimes think my rachel alter ego must confuse newbies. Am
I called Rachel, or Joe? hard one...
P.P.P.P.P.P.S. (last one, I promise) I know that they're really called
Camera Obscura. My "obscura (geddit?) indie knowledge" is just about
satisfactory"