Sinister: ...and you dare call this a college town?

The Cat's Pajamas the_cats_pajamas at xxx.com
Thu Nov 29 21:47:03 GMT 2001

Grrr...

I live in a relatively small town with a relatively large university in it.
30,000+ students with a correspondingly healthy indie/punk/emo scene.  We
have a couple independent "High Fidelity"-esque music stores in addition to
the usual music uber-stores.  Yet, despite this I can't find a copy of IWUTU
anywhere is this bloody little pissant town.  What's the use of having an
independent music store if you're just going to carry 87 different versions
of Dave Matthews' latest fraternity mating calls?  I'm hoping not to upset
anyone since I'm new around here, but living on this campus for 4 years has
made me extremely critical of the greek system.  Watching hordes of
Abercrombie Zombies storming the bars and emerging piss-drunk EVERY weekend
is wearing on me.  For the most part, their priorities seem to be, not in
this order, booze, sorority girls, and acting superior to those not in on
their scene.  Fuck them...fuck them with knives.  {Sorry to steal that quote
from whoever thought it up...I read it in my first couple days on the list
and nearly fell out of my chair laughing.  It's become a common element in
my vernacular since then :)}

To add to my anger, I was looking at buying copies "The Perks of Being a
Wallflower" for all of my friends who haven't read it yet for X-mas.  I'm
looking over the details of the book and find that it was published by
MTV...It's still a great book and all, it's just that the MTV thing kind of
leaves a bad taste in my mouth.  Promoting bad music is enough of a reason
to dislike MTV.  All of the crappy new series/game shows and the
cancellation of 120 minutes pushed me over the edge.

I think it would be great to meet all of the Chicago area sinister-folk on
the first...sadly I'm at school without a way to get back to the city.
Perhaps we can play on the ferris wheel on Navy Pier or something once we
thaw out from the impending winter.

Laura Llew, I'm sorry for not mentioning this earlier, but my love for you
is undiminished and my devotion everlasting.  Please forgive me :)

Jason
(Who's researching a term paper and not usually this bitter)