Sinister: but now old friends are acting strange

Kirsten Kenyon chinacat81 at xxx.com
Fri Nov 30 03:06:27 GMT 2001

    sorry to post again so quickly.  but i don't have anything better
to do.

     you're laughing at me...

     heh.
      today at work, the music was better than most days.  i can't
say it was great, but it was....better.  well.  some of it was
great.
    'imagine' came on, and i was standing behind the counter and
wiping salt and pepper shakers, and eradio was warming dinner rolls a
few feet away.  i heard him sort of laugh in a way that suggested he
was laughing only to cover up an entirely different sort of noise,
and i looked up and his eyes were welling over with tears, and he was
hastily shoving the rolls into the toaster oven and looking down. so
i looked down. and he said something quietly in spanish, and i looked
up again.  he looked back at me. and he spoke again. the song...it
reminds him of his wife in mexico, of sitting and drinking wine and
watching her laugh.  that's what he said, anyway.  and he opened his
eyes very wide and then rapidly closed and opened them again a few
times, then went back to work.  and i thought of him....coming here,
to america, and working in a kitchen to support his wife, a woman he
hasn't seen in three years.  and i pictured a young mexican couple,
looking happy....drinking wine and singing along to 'imagine.'  and
eradio's english isn't that great.....he probably didn't know all of
the words.  but i can just picture it, the two of them in little
wooden chairs, smiling and holding hands and raising their
glasses.....
   so.  i was sitting there thinking too hard, and i knocked over a
salt shaker and spilled it everywhere.  and someone reminded me to
throw some over my shoulder, and i smiled but i didn't do it.  i'm
not quite superstitious.  when we were very young, someone told my
brother and i that we would have good luck for all our years if we
could get close enough to sprinkle salt on the tail of a sparrow.  i
remember sitting by the kitchen window and watching with amusement as
david crept around the yard, a can of morton salt in one hand and a
catcher's mitt on the other....because if he could get close enough
to salt the bird, surely he would be within a reasonable distance to
grab the bird itself, which was far more exciting.  he never did it,
though.
    i think it's funny how we sort of...switched, in a way.  not in
terms of superstition....but.  well.  maybe not.  i think i'm still
reasonable.  maybe he just became more....
     he thinks i'm insane, which is sort of fun.
     things are looking better than ever.  and i'm off to take a nap.
 love kirsten

Care2 make the world greener!