Sinister: Ken in the snow, way Chu go!

Rachel fruitloop blind_lisa at xxx.com
Fri Nov 30 02:58:15 GMT 2001

Helloooooo Sinister!!
I was so excited the other night when I finally sifted through all
149 e-mails that were in my inbox and developed the makings of a post
that spanned over a week's worth of sinister coverage, when lo and
behold--snippets without comment add up to 29k of information!  TOO
MUCH LOVE, SAYS I, ARRRR! SHIVER ME TIMBERS! Over all, I've only
sifted through 'til tuesday (that was for you, Lisey!  *Elise sings:
"keep it down now, voices carry!"*)  I found too many things I wanted
to control-p on.  Miraculously, there has been *lots* of B&S content
lately, too!  I think I'm going to do a batch-post thingie.  This is
part one.

OK, I'll tell you lot who are depressed over Christmas-time that I
used to be really depressed this time of year, too (moreso than
usual).  You know what helps?  Not living with your parents.  Call me
fruitloopy, but I have had some really grate Christmases since I got
a bit older.  Maybe this is something that some of you depressed
kitties out there can look forward to. I find that my mother
especially LOVES to start fights on holidays, she tried her hardest
on Thanksgiving but I used my secret grown-up game plan: going home!
Yay!  Apparently, I "have low standards" and can never "date anyone
nice" so my mother has taken it upon herself to try to fix me up with
a used car salesman and a magician!  I'm sure they're nice, but,
um... yes, I'd rather be drinking gasoline, MUTH-errrr!
I felt I REALLY should have a molotov coctail, when mom yelled at all
of us "kids + wives" (mind you, the youngest is 22) for PUTTING OUR
DISHES IN THE SINK. That's right, IN the sink.*rachie yanks on Mandee
May's jacket and pulls a face*  I didn't get the telepathic memo to
NOT put dishes in the sink, and neither did anyone else.  In the teen
years, we had no escape, but oh HAPPY DAY, I have my own house to go
home to now!  This factor can make any holiday meleé easily
escapable!

Also worth a mention (but not to my mom!): I AM SO EXCITED THAT
MR.BEN APPS WILL BE ARRIVING IN LOS ANGELES IN LESS THAN 31 DAYS!!!
I don't care that you list crush naysayers say nay, I say YAY! Ben is
the bee's knees!! He has a lovely singing voice, you know! *swoon*

I am PAST 25 years of age, and you know what?  You kitties having
birthdays and getting up into your 20's should really think about how
cool it is to be YOU, with your good taste in music and your
independence.  I would not want to be a teenager again for all the
money in the world.  I think early 30's are going to be my prime
years and I am looking forward to them. Besides, nobody ever knows
how old I am anyway. Most of you probably look younger than you are,
too!  If all else fails, LIE ABOUT YOUR AGE! :)  Now I'm going to
have to use the Jedi mind trick to make you forget how old I am.
Damn!  That's hard to do the gesture through e-mail!  There's no
emoticon for Jedi mind trick, is there?

It's ok to not be happy, though.  I find that this season is the most
tumultuous because it's cold and dark (for most of us, in this
hemisphere) some of us are lonely, and a lot of extra time, money and
effort must be spent in "celebration".  I like to think of it as a
transformation.  This is the season of the dead.  Out with the old,
in with the new.  When you're feeling down, try to think of all of
the grate things that could happen to us this next year!  Try to
think of how pretty the lights are.  Or just get drunk. That's what I
do.

I don't really have a fantasy.  I think I need to work on that.  I
tend to get lost in the flip-flop between fantasy and reality.  So
many of you write dreamy things... most everything I have to say in
this post is smutty or ridiculous. I am starting to feel like maybe I
don't have anything worth saying to you.  But that's just going to
make me stop posting, and I don't want to stop, so I think I should
just stop thinking.  Yeah. No more thinking. For now... See what
happens when it rains in southern California?  It makes us
crazy(ier)!

***WELCOME***
Carolyn Jacobson wrote some poems that were very pretty!  Welcome
Carolyn!  Welcome to Mark Sweeney!  A big HELLO to Elsa Chiao, the
lurking lurker!  Welcome to PATRICK DOYLE!!!  Nice first post!!
Welcome to Melmoz Melissa!!!  When I see your name "Melmoz" I think
of Melmac, the planet that ALF is from!  Liz Daplyn, welcome back!

***KIRSTEN KENYON KORNER***
She's so awesome, I had to give her a separate section to herself!!

Kirsten Kenyon wrote: "a masterpiece was created in blue
ink..."bambi" meets "i love you, alice b. toklas.""
I find this description to be utterly hilarious!  Bambi is a movie
that I can never ever again watch in my life, it breaks my heart...
Especially since I'm a Disney fanatic. But, if Peter Sellars was in
it feeding his parents pot brownies then I might give it another
chance!

irsten enyon wrote: "so we toyed with the notion that we might be
'too ool for onsonants,' and for several minutes we only used them
selectively.  but none of us could talk that way with a straight face
for long.  so i guess we weren't ool enough."
When I read this, it really just struck me as being one of the
funniest things I've ever read!  It reminded me of a sign that my
friend Vicky and I had on the front bathroom door at our old
apartment in Studio City, which read "This is my ool.  notice there's
no p in it.  I don't swim in your pool so don't piss in my toilet.
Signed, the management." and it would confuse the guests so much that
they would go use the other bathroom!  I think that me and my
roommate were the only ones who thought it was funny. yep...

Kirsten Kenyon wrote of the Reverend: "he half-sang, half-shouted
"wooeee an' we gotta baby girl inna plaid jacket, boys, you know what
they say bout them girls in plaid jackets" and a few people yelled
"WHAT?" and he just laughed a smokey sort of laugh and shook his
head."
I know what they say about girls in plaid jackets... They say they
are dead clever and too adorable and smart to be stuck away at
church!
They say that, and I would have to agree. They would not be
reverends, however, and that's probably why he didn't finish the
statememnt.

Ken Chu wrote: "Will Kirsten Kenyon ever write a bad post so mine can
look good in comparison for once?"
The answer is no, and shut up.  Your posts are grate and don't you
forget it!!  I glow in anticipation when I see a post from "Kenneth
PY Chu" in my inbox, I really do! My sister Amber and friend Vicky
are now big fans of Kenny Chuey and they aren't even sinister.  They
just like slim Asian boys with potty mouths! ;)

***MUSIC***
Fabio Snoozer wrote: "the only cover-project we could stand
playing would be a Beatles Cover Band. So here we are, the name of
this band is Revolution #9 and we were hired to play in a big public
event"
Yay!  This seems so cool!  I am so curious to know what your band
sounds like, especially doing Beatles covers!  And that was A LOT of
songs on your set list!  Impressive!

Astrid wrote: "we´re recording a cd for our own money this winter,
it´ll probably be in 2002, and it will be fantastic. there are some
talking about who´s going to sing. it might be me. eeeek!
*excited-but-very-nervous-scream*"
Your band seems really adorable and cool!!  I hope that you DO sing,
and that you get enough money together to record next year, and that
you will make your cd available to all of us! Brighten will rock the
world, YEAH!?

Peter Carter wrote: "I'd like to announce the brainchild
of Kara Jean* Daria Brielmann and myself, Fast Cow. It's a music
webzine" www.ciahq.fsnet.co.uk/fastcow.
I recommend that you go there now and beware the electric donut!

***BELLE & SEBASTIAN EP***
Trish Delish wrote of "I love my car": "it's just this great big
boozy trumpet warbling away, kinda reminds me of miss hannigan and
her crew in annie...ok. i am totally the only person to hear that,
and now you all think i'm a freak."
I *still* haven't heard it, but I'm getting absolutely giddy at the
thought that the song could be anything like a song from "Annie", and
I most likely will agree with you Trish, cos I'm a freak like dat!
It's fun to assimilate things with other random things!  Like the
'80's sitcom ALF, for instance!  Or Annie!  Or Knight Rider! (eh,
Robyn!?)

Mike from Brazil wrote: "Last thing: if any of you are dying to hear
the new single, Belle & Sebastian's record label here in Brazil,
Trama, has full streams of all three songs (in Real Audio, Windows
Media, and Quicktime formats, no less...) so check out
http://moe.trama.com.br/trama/rock_js/rock_not.html and click on
"Belle & Sebastian" at the top, and then choose your song and format,
and wonderful music shall ooze from your speakers."
OK, I'm a dork and I went to the site.  And proceeded to not read
Portugese, like I tend to do, and then I inadvertantly pressed a
button that downloaded quicktime onto my pc and damaged 3 of my
Windows system files... so, now my computer at home is down for the
count! I will be reloading windows tonight! *rachie's a lame ass*

David Moore wrote: "I'm Waking Up To Us must have a doggy style
theme, as there was an advert in the nme the other day featuring
Stevie also with man's best friend."
Yep.  And I don't need to remind you, nothing says "I love
bestiality" more than Belle & Sebastian.  I could go on more about
this in a very crude and obscene manner, naming other positions the
photos for the ep should have been taken in, but I think that would
ruin the wholesome breakfast image that y'all have of me!

Will Spike wrote: "And as I leave the shop, i notice a poster
advertising IWUTU. Now all I have to do is find out who I have to
speak to/beg/bribe/offer sexual favours to in order to get my hands
on the lovely item once the Union is finished with it."  What if I
draw you one, would you offer ME sexual favours?!  I'll consider it
"working on commission"

***BELLE & SEBASTIAN LIVE***
This Graham/Tobi character wrote a GRATE post reviewing B&S in Japan
which included points like: "1) Fred Savage, dimpled star of hit TV
schmalz 'The wonder Years' did not simply just fade from the public
eye as he grew older.  Instead changed his name to Stevie Jackson and
moved to Scotland, where he learned to blow a truly mean harp.
Kawaii, ne?"
OH MAN, I thought Fred Savage was looking pretty toadie (no offense,
Stine!) by the last season and I figured that's probably why the show
was ultimately ended... Stevie's a dreamboat, though!  Talking about
Fred Savage also makes me miss Katie Cheeriodle, I know that Katie
enjoyed The Wonder Years reference, too, didn't you Katie!?
and Tobi also said: "3) A carefully planned mullet can actually be
very, very cool indeed- nice one Bob."
Yeah, I think that old Belfast Bob could probably have any hairstyle
and still look ravishing!  The mullet is proof of that.  Wasn't it
Wesley Willis who sang in the song "Cut The Mullet" "Tell your barber
that you are tired of looking like an asshole"?  I believe it was
him, or maybe it was Neil Diamond.  That line of separation is fairly
blurry these days!

Claudia wrote of seeing B&S as if it were a dream and it was so
sweet.  She said: "We had stars all around us, and they were shining
in the most beautiful way... everything was perfect...After some time
one of the angels reached out his hand and pointed at me.. he said '
this one', he also reached his hand to a couple of other girls, one
of them was my best friend... and we all flew to the clouds..."
Awww, angels and clouds and friends and... awwww!  That's too cute!
I can't stand it!

Robyn Fadden wrote: "so, i hear belle and sebastian did an encore in
tokyo. an *encore*! i thought they were against them (well, they
don't seem to do them anyway). but i hear they really liked japan and
that was their last stop on tour, so... hm. but i can't help feeling
that i could have done *something* to provoke an encore at their
vancouver show. i think that maybe all the advances in robotics in
japan created
'encore' mind-control waves. canada is just not doing enough in this
important area of research. (cue ominous music and shot from robot's
point of view.)"
I think you could be right on this one.  It seems like Japan always
gets the rare songs and the encores and the better shirts and
posters...waaahhhh! Robyn also said "never put salt in your eye" and
I think you need to pin this note to your shirt, too: "mental note:
get coffee-coloured shirts"

***BRAZIL***
Roberto from Brazil wrote: "When the show started, a guy on the left
start yellin' the lyrics in Sepultura style, guturally. He didn't
care about the melody at all, and cared a few about metrics: he just
wanted to prove to everyone around that,although he had a terrible
lack of musical talent, had spent about 20 hours a day in front of
the stereo, so he could memorize every single line of every single
song."
Ohhhhh, that's so annoying, it really is!  I am all for people
getting into it and having a good time, but when it is so obnoxious
that it hurts your ears then it is taking it too far!!

And then Jeff wrote: "sorry about ruining your experience - i was
just elated to be there, and singing and jumping is the way i reacted
to b&s live."
Which is understandable, too!  The flipside is that maybe when
someone around us is getting so excited about the show, we should
just join them and act like loons, too!  That's SO MUCH fun!
Especially when you're excited and then the people around you are, it
makes the whole experience take on a new life!

And the JenOwl wrote: "I hate it when people have fun too. We should
all sit about drinking cappuccinos writing bad poetry and savouring
the philosophical message of the lyrics and pretending to be shy."
Sarcasm is funny and all, and I think you definitely have a point
Jen, but I also feel like if I was Roberto I'd be a little miffed by
the indirect comment to him, unless I'm just imagining things and
trying to start trouble! If that's the case, I'm sorry. Some people
experience things to their fullest potential in different ways, and
the solution to the conflict is obviously to move to a spot where you
won't be so distracted. And that's just what Roberto did. One only
needs to get an elbow in the neck a sweaty armpit pressed onto their
shoulder while some madman wails in their ear once before they
realize that the extreme opposite isn't the only type of listener
that would be annoyed by this neighbor.  But everyone has a right to
enjoy the show in their own way, don't they?  So everybody is right!
Do what you gotta do!

Ana from Brazil wrote: "Stevie's portuguese isn't only funny...
rather cute, he really tried to do something pretty good, that was
sweet."
I can't imagine how adorable that must have sounded!!! It seems to me
like B&S in Brazil was a pretty special event all around and I am so
happy that they went there, and that so many of you posted about
seeing them!

***BELLE & SEBASTIAN & STORYTELLING***
Mouche wrote of the 'Storytelling' soundtrack: "the storytelling
credits list four belle and sebastian songs, three of which i've
never heard of:
the state i am in
i don't want to play football
scooby driver
storytelling
they're also credited with "music" so i guess there will be
instrumental pieces too."
I am so annoyed at the prospect that this movie isn't coming out in
the U.S. until January 25th! Grrrrr!  But at least it will be just in
time for Ryan's birthday.  Ryan is a grate movie date.  I've heard a
rumor that he has FINALLY escaped the nursery!!! shhhh!  Don't tell
him I told!  He's probably planning on ambushing us all when we least
expect it!

Alexander Bartilson of the Swedish Siniser massive wrote: "Today I
saw Storytelling on the Stockholm film festival. It was really good
even though I think I have to see it a few more times to get some
question marks that are currently circling around in my head
straighened out."
I hope that the movie is good, I really do.  But from the sound of
it, the soundtrack will be the best part of it and that's ok in my
book! (ha, get it, storrytelling, book, erm...)  I am one of those
people who is easily pleased, though.  I am not a good movie critic.
If one element is good, then I'm happy.

Helen wrote about Storytelling: "Anyway, what I really wanted to say
is that Todd Solondz invited b&s (he seems to be quite close to
Stuart M.) to create this songs specially for the movie which they
gladly did (thanks there Todd!)."
That's a very interesting concept...Stuart M has FRIENDS!  Friends
who make movies.  Friends who aren't dogs or in the band with him! :)

***BELLE & SEBASTIAN MUSINGS***
Nafees wrote: "much to my surprise the person who played aerial
looked almost identical to stuart.  if you can imagine stuart wearing
nothing but a loin cloth (which i'm sure some of you already do) and
being covered in gold body paint then that was aerial.  he even
danced like stuart too."
Oh, sure!  I often think of Stuart in gold body paint and a
loincloth... or sometimes it's him dipped in chocolate wearing a fig
leaf... mmmmmm, forbidden murdoch!
Oh, and I hope your mum is ok Nafees.

There were some posts about B&S apperance on Later With Jools
Holland.  Every time I see the name Brandt Fundak in my inbox (Brandt
wanted to know what # series this episode will be in, Neil said #17),
I think I'm reading the name "Grand Funk Railroad" Can I call you
Brandt Fundak Railroad? HA! I'm making myself laugh again, sorry!
Anyway, can you believe it!?  They're going to perform 3 SONGS on
Later!!!!  B&S I mean, not Grand Funk, or Brandt Fundak for that
matter.

David Moore wrote: "The first entry is a piece by one Stuart Murdoch,
about fear of flying, safe little café booths, dear non-catastrpohic
waitresses, well, why don't you go & read it yourself?
http://www.myspace.co.uk/belleandsebastian/writing.html"
yes, if you haven't read this, I think you should go read it right
now, it will make you feel all smiley and content for the afternoon.
At least, that's what it did for me!

Tim Banning wrote: "the line "nobody writes them like they used to so
it may as well be me" caught my attention, as it usually does.  Then
I was thinking about how some people have expressed that some of the
songs on the new Belle and Sebastian single sound like their from the
60's.  Well...maybe it's been Stuarts intention to write songs like
that for a long time."
This is a delightful concept to me.  I never thought about the
correlation between the line in "Get me away from here..." and the
'60 's sound of B&S.  I like that idea!  Thanks for bringing that up,
Tim!

Idleberry wrote: "If you could ask a member of Belle and Sebastian
any
one question, what would it be?"
I would ask Stuart if he noticed me and Dustin in the crowd at the
2nd Los Angeles show and asked us to dance onstage because we were
"Smartly Dressed" or because Stuart just wanted to get down Dustin's
pants? (and who doesn't? Dustin is H-O-T! Lemme tell ya!)  If I could
ask him TWO questions, the second would be "if I could arrange this
for ya with Dustin, can I watch?" Ohhh, I'm a dirty ol'ladee!

***PRESSIE EXCHANGE***
Joan of Dark wrote about the Christmas Present Exchange: "So PLEASE
be sure that you want to do this, its not something that costy or
tiring, it requires just the minimum consideration on the
matter….Don’t just apply in the spur of the moment….But it’s vital
you really want to do this"
After reading this, I have been debating over whether or not I should
play.  Now I'm scared!  But I guess I had better make up my mind
soon!  Do we have a deadline for entry into the exchange, Laura, did
I miss it?

The Dairy Fairy wrote: "It's nice as well because you get to imagine
who sent it. So that's an extra present of intrigue in itself."
This is true also, I think it could be tons of fun to send people
cool stuff!!

Johan wrote: "can't wait for Xmas thingy to get underway, my
pillowcase is washed and waiting... and my little mind a-thinking of
nice things to send, so ask yourself: are you feeling lucky, punk
(rock!)"
I guess I'm feeling pretty lucky and pretty punk raque! So I guess I
should play and you should, too!

Ruvi wrote: "wouldn't it be far more miraculous to extend those
feelings across every day and every hour, spreading a little light
into all the Januaries, Mondays and hours when no celebration has
been prescribed?"
yes, I think that is delightful!!  I think it would be fun to do a
Valentine's Day gift exchange, too.  I really *do* loathe that
holiday because I'm always alone, but maybe it would be better if we
all felt sinister together!

Happy Belated Birthday to Histrianic!!  And to Tim Banning!

***!VIVA RACHELS!***
Well, I know for a fact that the Rachels mixtape is making it's way
across America and across the world!  Lookout Chu, you will be the
judge, yet!

Rachel O.J. wrote: "rachels are probably the best in the world when
it comes to mixed-tapes."
I would have to whole-heartedly agree.  Not to toot my own trumpet
(well, yes, *toot-toot*!) I just made a super grate mix for my list
crush, the sugar-sweet Mr.B Apps, so I think all of you Wills and
Chris' and Rob/i/yns and Stuarts and Gertrudes are in for it! ;)

Archel Toast wrote:"i hope my contribution to the mighty rachels
effort will be as successful :)"
And of course it will, my dear because the Raquels Raque!

Rachel O.J. wrote: "i got so jelaous when i red about the two lovely
rachels day togehter. it were miss fruitloop and miss cornflake,
right? maybe there was someone else, but in that way, i've forgotten
it."
Yes, twas myself and Cornyflake and also the honorary Rachel, miss
Katie Cheeriodle!  It was so much fun!  I am telling you lot, if you
can manage to meet up with a fellow Sinisterine, I would do it asap!
I just had dinner with a lovely listee who actually lurks the
archives these days named wee Andreea and she is so terrific!  She
spoke fondly of KEN CHU and STRAWBERRY BOY and JEREMY BREAMS, and
RachOLA CINNAMON, and many others! It felt like we belong to one big
happy family!

Kara Jean wrote: "I sit down and produce the cookie crisp from my
backpack.  Eating them is a delight.  Cookies for breakfast.  I can't
help grinning."  MAN, Kara, you should have jumped on The Rachels
team for the MIXTAPE BATTLE!!  You could have been Rachel Cookie
Crisp, but instead I'll just think of you as Kara Kookie Krook! ;)

***Favorite Quotes***
"If it's any consolation, I'm much prettier than I was a few days
ago."--Gordon

"Conclusion:  catillions are garbage.  I am not high class"--Kate
cut-up

"This job sucks. I'd rather read my e mails. Go away."--Idleberry

"Oh, don’t look at me like that, even the punky boy gives in to
romanticism sometimes."--Jim Gilmer

"it is when you connect that you're feeling life, rather than just
living it."--Ian

***SHOUT OUTS***
YO to the Chicago Sinister Picnic folks this weekend, yo!  Elise and
Sean, Jimmy G., Ryan, THE RACHELS, and THE WILLS and THE CHRIS TEAMS!
Also to Cédric Schott, Jim Taylor, Juju, Andreea, Toadie Stine,
Mandee May, Danny Farrell, Caleb Ben, Ken Chu and my darling bunny
Benny Apps!

Alright kitties!  This is all I have to post for now!  Look out for
installment Part Two, coming soon to a Sinister list near you!
love,
Rachel fruitloop

P.S. RICHARD JOHN GILLANDERS.