Sinister: Rollerskates, Shakespeare, and Saki

Mike K dontloveanyone at xxx.net
Tue Oct 2 22:53:50 BST 2001

Call and Response indeed are *wonderful*, and i definitely definitely recommend the album - it's just brilliant. and it's got Kevin Barnes from Of Montreal on guest vocals. What else could you really want?

In other news, i've been readying myself for the no doubt life-changing experience of seeing B&S live here in Brazil. It's really great to see they're more famous here than I knew; a surprising number of people from school are going to Free Jazz to see our beloved B&S.

I was cast as Prospero in Shakespeare's "The Tempest", which is pretty much the lead role...its great fun. I'm also, with a friend, composing all the music for the songs in the play, so if anyone wants my strange half-drunk demos of the songs, just ask, or something.

Just last week I found my Saki (aka H.H. Munro) book. It's a collection of 22 stories, and easily one of my favourite books ever... I hadn't seen it in ages, but it was just buried under some other book i've always planned to re-read, but never did. Anyway, if any of you are looking for something witty 'n well-written to read, that's my suggestion, for whatever it's worth.

Is anyone coming down here to Sao Paulo for Free Jazz? If anyone needs currency advice, directions (although i'm not sure how much i'll be able to help, since this city's absolutely huge), or has any questions, feel free to ask!

On a completely different topic, the new Ben Folds album is fantastical. Definitely definitely recommended. Check out "Losing Lisa"... wow.

Love and hugs,
Mike K