Sinister: why should I care about posterity? what's posterity ever done for me?

Richard Gillanders r_gillanders at xxx.com
Wed Oct 3 22:15:19 BST 2001

if you like sense.  skip it.

I was in the central station in glasgow on friday.  in
a queue.  and I saw howard marks.  walking by.  I
wasn't star-struck.  how could I be?  had he been
accompanied by marty ingels.  I might have.  smiled.

my parents saw john virgo in ikea in nottingham.  that
would have made me smile.  or laugh.

you really find out who your friends are when you get
an unauthorised haircut.

imminent relocation.  I'm excited.

despite the inevitable dancing.  and the slightest
risk of someone trying to.  persuade me to dance.  I'm
looking forward to the national pop league.  one.

it's at a social club.

back to a place of useful learning.  I was looking
forward to it.  but now it's here.  I can't look
forward to it.  is 'learning from las vegas' an
obvious choice?  it seems to be.

alasdair: you eat too many chocolate biscuits?

mandee may: darn.  I forgot.  shout out?  homeslice?
aw.  I hate being forgetful.

grampian picnic?  I like picnics.

INSANE IN THE BRAIN [but just the once]

a toadie291 at home.com said something about 'scary movie
2' rather than 'osmosis jones'?  I remember going to
see 'dick tracy' in nineteen ninety.  I was nine.  or
ten.  about half an hour into the film an elderly lady
turned around from the row in front of us with: 'this
isn't 'pretty woman', is it?'.  and it wasn't.  I
remember that.  but it never happened.  not to me.  I
don't think I saw 'dick tracy' at a cinema.  I think
my parents took my brother to see it.  and I was
elsewhere.  and they told me of this elderly woman.  I
was nine.  or ten.  I think I just let it rest in my
memory with things that actually DID happen when I was
there.  I asked my parents about it.  my dad said it
was 'dick tracy', I wasn't there, the elderly woman,
'pretty woman'.  my mum said we were wrong.  and that
it was 'the rocketeer' we had been to see.  and I WAS
there.  and it was in preston.  my dad and I disagreed
with her recollection.  I don't care though.  it would
still be funny if an elderly lady walked into 'the
rocketeer' and watched thirty minutes of it before she
realised it wasn't 'pretty woman'.  alan wolf arkin
was in 'the rocketeer'.  alan wolf arkin was in 'wait
until dark'.  I like the theme song from that.  not as
much as I like other ones.  from that album.  or other
songs.  or other themes.  but it's good.  michael j.
pollard was in 'dick tracy'.  I like him.  is he dead?
 does he remind me of peter falk?  michael j. pollard
was in 'hannibal brooks'.  that is almost my favourite
film.  almost.  anyhow: it's a winner.  also in 'dick
tracy'.  a calumn shearer favourite: mandy patinkin.
when's the album out?  also in 'dick tracy'.  a
universal favourite [no?]: dick van dyke.  marlon
wayans is in this 'scary movie 2' one.  I don't doubt
that it must be indescribably awful.  can someone
describe how awful?  I doubt it.  I don't not doubt
it.  he [the marlon wayans] was in that 'requiem for a
dream'.  that was awful.  and I can describe how
awful.  sometimes.  jennifer connelly was in it too.
yeah.  it was bad.  she was also in 'labyrinth'.
obviously.  well, she was in 'the rocketeer'.  too.
yer: back to marlon wayans.  I don't like him.  he was
in the 'the wayans bros.' t.v. show that I've never
seen.  some of the episodes were directed by scott
baio.  he was bugsy malone in 'bugsy malone'.  and he
was in 'diagnosis murder' too.  on the telly.  with
dick van dyke.  and barry van dyke.  and, sometimes,
shane van dyke.  three generations of van dykes.  wow.
 I wonder if I'm related to them in any way.
probably.
______________________

why did I bother?  tell me.

I enjoyed a wedding reception recently.  I've never
been to a wedding.  ANC calculated he had [now]
reached that paragon of personal life event
attendances: four weddings and a funeral.  I did some
calculations of my own and got an inverted result.  is
it simply indicative of my life?  well.  I'd rather be
inverted than perverted.  wouldn't I?  maybe I need a
new calculator.  the reception was lovely and fun.
the bride and groom were, understandably, very busy
being the bride and groom.  but not too busy to greet
and chat and generally be lovely.  there were lots of
nice people there.  I was invited to dance at one
point.  but there was no pressure.  at all.  I was a
bit silly by the end of the night and said 'oh well'.
but then laughed almost more than ever before.  and
about catherine the great and nick cave and nick drake
and sir francis drake and terry hall and hall and
oates and quakers oats.  oh.  and horses and lady
godiva.  I think.  I'm not sure why I didn't laugh
about jerry hall.  on reflection.  or jerry lewis.  or
dean martin.  for that matter.

or frank sinatra.  or love.  and marriage.  or the
buckingham fountain.  or a midwestern picnic.  why do
I do it?

ANC makes me think of the african national congress.
maybe it's his accent.

I read 'quote from a friend' as 'quote from a fiend'.
recently.  then I was sure there was a mistake.

I don't know why I bother.  really I don't.

there could be good times on the way,
richard.