Sinister: these burgers are crazy

Rachel Playforth Something.Pretty at xxx.com
Fri Oct 5 00:49:43 BST 2001

i am working at home this week writing letters to 'artistes' and provincial
writers groups.  my eyes are a bit sore from looking at this screen now.
and i don't think my professionalism was enhanced by listening to the moldy
peaches all day.  but i'm still prepared to risk migraines writing to
sinister...

confession: on tuesday afternoon i ate a whole bag of nacho chips in front
of pretty in pink instead of looking for a proper job.  there is NOTHING
better than watching john hughes films in the afternoon.  apart from perhaps
the princess bride on dvd, at any time of day.

more diversion tactics: while thinking about what sort of thing to put on a
minidisc for our friends in japan, i thought (again) about what would be on
a 'best of' b&s compilation.  may i burn in hell for starting this, honey,
but if you could have just one track from each single/ep and two from each
album, what would your final list look like?  mine goes:
expectations
my wandering days are over
get me away from here i'm dying
mayfly
dog on wheels
photo jenny
le pastie de la bourgoisie
dirty dream no 2
the boy with the arab strap
slow graffiti
legal man
the model
there's too much love
jonathan david

that was really hard actually... and i'm sure even harder to justify.
leaving out the state i am in and women's realm and the loneliness of the
middle distance runner was particularly painful.  luckily i don't have to
choose in reality :)

matt wrote:
>I love
songs, I love movies, and maybe I've loved the idea of someone, but never
that actual person.  It all comes up a big disappointment.  I just don't see
love lasting forever.  I don't see how it could possibly happen.  I'm sure
it can somewhere, but I've never seen it.  I'd like to believe in love, but
it seems more like an idea than an actual thing.

and the pernice brothers wrote:
> it fills me with regret. i can't believe in love, and i want to believe.

so you're in good company, matt.  i reckon once you do love someone it will
be completely different from anything up to that point, and you won't even
remember that there was ever a distinction between the idea and actual
thing... take it from of a reformed cynic.

speaking of love, congratulations ailsa and neil.  give them both a big kiss
from me ally :)

got to catch the post, or god only knows what the peacehaven writer's circle
will do.

luv archel
archel at iname.com

For the best in new writing on the web, visit www.buzzwords.org.uk