Sinister: There's a lot to be done while your head is still young

Rachel blind_lisa at xxx.com
Sun Oct 7 18:51:07 BST 2001

Hellooooooo Sinister!!
There have been quite a few great posts recently!  I want to write
about some of the things I've read from you lovely people lately!

Stine talked about a bad experience she had in a bookstore.  That
altercation between the outspoken anti-gay lady and Stine sounds very
alarming. Ignorance gets out of control all too fast!  But I have to
applaud you, Stine, for standing up to that ignorant lady, that was
super cool of you!!  Also your story about being in the movie theater
had me laughing so hard!

And then, Richard Gillanders posted about a similar experience he had
in the movie theater with his family, but then maybe he was really
there, and maybe not... and I think at that point I was nearly in
tears, as I usually am when reading Richard Gillanders' posts--you're
so damn funny!!! Now I see why Kirsten and Mandee adore you so much!
My favorite line from Richard's post: "you really find out who your
friends are when you get an unauthorised haircut." I am curious what
that haircut might look like, and what it is that makes it
unauthorised!?  Did somebody come up behind you and cut your hair
when you weren't looking?  Or did somebody's sister do it with some
old dull left-handed scissors in their backyard?  I just hope it's
really short on top and long in the back with racing stripes shaved
into the sides of your head and in your eyebrows to match.  Now
THAT'S what I call an unauthorised haircut!
And dear Archel Toast posted "if you could have just one track from
each single/ep and two from each album, what would your final list
look like?" Aside from being a scribbled up mess, mine would go
something like this:
You're Just a Baby
I Don't Love Anyone
Get me Away from Here, I'm Dying
Judy and the Dream of Horses
String Bean Jean
Photo Jenny
Le Pastie de la Bourgeoisie
Sleep the Clock Around
Simple Things
Slow Graffitti
The Wrong Girl
Family Tree
Legal Man
Jonathan David
...but, man oh man, it's hard to decide!

Miss Laura Llew said "I like tormenting myself through mixtapes and
lack of love. It's a hobby"... Yay, I'm not the only one who does it,
then?!  And Laura, you know WE love you, right?

Shannon started out a delicious description of the fall weather in
her 'hood with the line "So.  Fall has arrived.  Lovely, beautiful,
aching fall." and I just thought, how grate is that?!  Really lovely,
Shannon!

Jim Gilmer wrote about riding in the backseat of his friend's car
with a girl he was utterly in love with and we're riding around and
"it's chilly, the kind of first autumn, end-of-October chill where it
feels far colder than it is because you're not used to it yet." This
story reminded me of similar experiences and what a dream-like state
the weather can send us into, especially in remembering love. A
beautiful story, Jim!

A big ol' hug to Ian for sharing his grate pics of B&S from the San
Francisco show he attended!  And I thought what you said about seeing
Sigur Ros at the Warfield was so true for me, too: "Although, seeing
them at the same venue where I saw Belle and Sebastian is kinda
weird." For a long time, any show I went to at the Warfield always
reminded me of James in '94, but now I just think of The Verve... I
didn't see B&S there, but I'm sure if I did, I'd be feeling the same
way you do... I remember in '97 seeing Suede at the El Rey in L.A.
and then a week after the tour ended, Gene played there and it was
just sort of odd to think that only about a week beforehand, Suede
was there. I was *REALLY* (unhealthily) into Suede back then, so I
know what you're saying completely. Oh, and welcome to Sinister, Ian!

Oh, and Mr. Will Salt said, as if he didn't know that his posts make
all the girls weak in the knees "Um, I am?  Eep.  This sort of thing
makes reading my email *so* embarrassing lately :-)"  Of course you'd
be coy about it, that's what the ladies love!!  Thanks for clearing
up the Krypton Factor mystery for me, everyone who so kindly jumped
to my rescue! Sounds a little intense for our "Rachels v. Wills"
competition!

Guess what?!  I got an e-mail from a SIXTH Rachel!!!  This one is
actually a "Rachael" and she lives in Australia, but soon to be
England! I am not sure as to what her nickname is yet...I suggested
Rachael Pancake or Rachael Frosties... but all the same, !Viva
Rachels!  Shout outs to Rachel Cornflake, Rachel Sunny Side Up,
Rachel Grapenut, Archel Toast, Rachael ??, and our new honorary
Rachel, Miss Katie Odle, who I lovingly refer to as Katie Cheeriodle,
HR.  You know what's funny?  I don't even *eat* breakfast!

Ben reminded us "ooh, new single in 39 days and counting, y'all get
excited now, y'hear!"  Ooh, I AM EXCITED, Ben!!! How come you don't
want any of the Sinister boys moiving into your house, huh?  Sure
*everybody* wants Kirsten Kenyon to live with them!!!  I can't blame
you, she's like a pack of gum--double mint! ;)

Thanks to Lawrence who broke this news: "THE NEW SINGLE IS CALLED
"WAKING UP TO US" AND IS COMING OUT ON NOVEMBER
26th! (Same b-sides by the look of it, different a-side, obviously)"
Maybe I'm the only kid in the class who wasn't aware, either, but I'm
glad to be told that they changed the name of "The Season Has
Arrived" to "Waking Up To Us"  I was worried there for a second, too!
Call me ignorant, but when is this Storytelling movie coming out,
anyway?  Anyone know?

KEN CHU KEN CHU KEN CHU!! There, I filled my quota! Just kidding!
Ken Chu wrote the most charming post about his mum visiting and about
living alone and cooking for himself and being able to record without
being embarrassed to sing! *I want to pinch your cheeks, you adorable
boy!* My favorite quote was "Mum called back saying she's arrived,
and nagged about things, but the nagging sounds a lot more exotic now
it comes all the way from Hong Kong." Can my mum go to live with
yours in Hong Kong? Exotic nagging would be nice for a change!!!

Shout outs to my girls in Wisconsin!! Elise and Kirsten, you rock my
world!!!  Hugs to Mandee and Danny, too!

*******Colin boy, don't read this part!************
Last night, I went out with a fellow Sinisterine, Ryan!  We saw the
movie 'Ghost World' (which Colin and Katie Cheeriodle, HR,
recommended) and it was grate!  Then we had dinner and talked for a
while and it was really fun.  Ryan is *such* a nice boy! And ladies,
he's real cute!!!!!

*******Ryan, don't read this part!*****************
*******Colin boy, read this part!******************
Yeah, so when I went out with Ryan last night... it was alright.

Isn't it funny how one week you can feel like the biggest loser on
earth, going out by yourself on your birthday and the next week you
have 2 really super cool boys taking you out/announcing your
marriage?!  Ahhh, only in the world of Sinister... I think I'll stay!
;)

Love to you all--especially my crush,
Rachel the fitter, happier fruitloop