Sinister: cappuccino's,ape-men and public schoolboys...

Desmond Torpey boyfreind_in_a_coma at xxx.com
Sun Oct 7 21:13:07 BST 2001

hello sinister :)
...i dont like autumn at all...the worst thing in the
world is having to turn the light on at three o clock
in the afternoon because its too gloomy to see
anything and hearing the rain pelt down on the
windows...the situation is worsened when you have a
first class hangover,no cigarettes and strange pains
in your feet...ah well..the weekend was
trying,tiring,sometimes fun but ultimatly
unproductive...it involved a slightly bizzare trip to
Oxford...one of these spur of the moment things
fuelled by a need to escape your surroundings for at
least a few hours..belting down the ring road at a
silly speed in a decrepit green beetle with the moldy
peaches blaring into the night air was extremely fun
(especially if you arent the one having to
drive)...alas it was downhill from there...slightly
naively we expected to find a wealth of
lovely,alternative places to drink with decent music
and interesting people...of course every city centre
in the world is usually crawling with scary people and
loud but joyless pubs..how we managed to forget this
fact is beyond me...where were the students in scarfs
cycling along the pavement? where were the
distinguished buildings and elegantly unhinged public
schoolboys? I must learn to broaden my horizons..there
was actually just KFC's,chain pubs and
roadworks...among the ACTUAL people we met were a
strange bum in a flat cap who badgered £2.50 out of me
for a cappuccino...a cappuccino??...why do i give into
these people?...even the down and outs had expensive
tastes...there was also the inevitable scattering of
tanked up football fans waving their stupid flags and
screaming like ape-men who'd just discovered the
miracle of fire...so we ended up in a lifeless
establishement (i think it was called 'the mitre')
with warm beer and tasteful muzak playing at the
lowest volume possible without being turned off...a
quick stumble round some extremely rich-looking
buildings with the sound of affluent student parties
ringing above and then it was back home again...but
not before discovering that Oxford does in fact have
FOUR park and ride areas leading to an hour long
round-trip on the bus with some scary people yelling
on the bottom deck...thus i discovered four things
this weekend...

i) i should abandon all preconceptions when travelling
ii) i should get out more
iii) most places are the same
iv) i should stop giving money to rich tramps

...are there any Oxford dwelling sinisterines who
could give me information for future reference on nice
places to go?...on a scarier and more distressing
note, it appears that air strikes have begun in
Afghanistan...at least there was some kind of
restraint shown and it has been nearly a month since
the attacks...but there was still a forlorn hope in my
mind that things would just get sorted in time and
that the taliban would see sense without the need for
military action..pretty stupid i guess...i know that
military action was inevitable and probably
neccesasary but still....the recent debate about the
IRA has just made me think though...terrorism is
centuries old...once bin laden is captured or killed
and the immediate threat is percieved to be
over..things will just go back to normal...not NORMAL
because things can never normal again...but i'm scared
that all this talk of a war against terrorism is just
hot air and it wont be long before another tragedy on
the same scale or worse will happen again...oh i've
gone on too long..um...
ta ta...