Sinister: the season of waking up

Helen McLean helen at xxx.au
Wed Oct 10 13:55:58 BST 2001

here I am. two posts in a year. gasp.

Trying desperately to stay awake, which is in contrast to this afternoon where
I tried desperately to stay asleep. Neither is working all that well. If I am
neither asleep nor awake I must be something else. Hungry. Perhaps stupid.
Possibly misled. Upset at least. 'Collateral damage' should be struck out of
the dictionary. I'm sure someone on here has the power. Right?

'Waking up to us' is better than waking up to me I am sure. I am grumpy in the
mornings and I make other people do stuff for me often. Make me coffee. Make
me toast. go get my ug boots.

Yesterday I spent a large proportion of time in my ug boots. which are the
best thing to wear on ones feet ever. Although wearing them outside means that
you get odd looks and possibly sniggers, but if Pamela Anderson can do it,
then dammit so can I. Although a friend of mine pointed out that not many
people are looking at her feet anyway.

Here it is spring, and I would be exceedingly pleased if it stayed this
temperature from now on. Today was definitely T shirt weather, blue skies and
only a slight wind. My mother would call it pleasant. But unfortunately it is
going to get hot and I am going to have to deal with it. Most of my friends
dealt with it by leaving the country.

I went to the country last week and even worked on a farm. Well vinyard at
least, for a couple of hours at least. We went to see the Southern Ocean and
ended up seeing a rock that looked like a dog. In the Australian tradition of
anything large becoming an instant tourist attraction someone had painted a
collar on it and were selling postcards and mugs of the imaginatively titled
'dog rock' for fairly reasonable prices. There was also a 'dog rock' shopping
centre, a 'dog rock' motel and everything. I liked it better than the Big
Banana and the Big Orange, though the jury's still out on the Big Pineapple
and the Big Sheep. Though these lose points by being man-made whereas Dog Rock
is a natural wonder. One of the seven of the world I should imagine. Though
Wave Rock is pretty good too. Prizes will not be given for guessing what that
one looks like.

I am distinctly not all that excited about the new single. It is disturbing me
actually. Every other single and album I have been excited. Maybe its the
change of title, maybe its because of the fiasco that was the lonliness of the
middle distance runners' guitar solo. Maybe its because as of lately their
singles and records can no longer be referred to as the blue one or the yellow
one or the red one or the purple one. I liked that. Then again maybe its just
the times we live in. Still I am hoping that in the next few weeks my
excitement will grow. Marx and Engels should be good. And I have heard good
things about the Season has arrived or waking up to us or whatever it is
called nowadays. Anyhow, you know the one. You know I kind of like the new
name, it can be shortened to WUTU which is better than TSHA.

Well cheers then,

helen