Sinister: Going out in London is a great way to relieve oneself

Martin_F_Conneely at xxx.ie Martin_F_Conneely at xxx.ie
Wed Oct 10 16:55:49 BST 2001

SUBJECT LINE
I couldn't resist that quote from a post by Robert Brennan, which came in the
same digest as Rachel Toast's nude adventures and Shannon's revelation about
what she was doing over the tapes.  I don't know if I can be seen in the same
company as this list much longer if it's going in that direction.

PERNICE

Elise wrote:
<<Can anyone tell me about the Pernice Brothers>>

I was at a Joe P gig in Dublin very recently. Stacey Dahling had warned that he
was very serious, but I imagine it was intensified by the P Bros having flown
out of NY 10 hours before the crashing.  So the live gig was quite serious,
beginning with the line "Gimme some more of that morphine..." (approx) and
references to suicide in 3 of the first 6 songs (approx).  But I was reared on
Leonard Cohen and, unlike so many Irish males, I got through my 20s without
hanging myself.  So I was fine with that kind of stuff.  The females in the
party were a bit shaken by the gloom but that could be the fault of the
excellent sound system which delivered every word clearly.

If you don't listen to the words, the Pernice Brothers sound chirpy and very
melodic - Beach Boys meeting Teenage Fanclub with very rich vocals and resonant
guitar.  For example, Working Girls in the background sounds Joe is very happy
that there are working girls.  But listen to the words and there's a vivid guide
to the barren nature of existence in a way that Start Murdoch could have written
before he was famous.

Joe did nearly 2 and a half hours,with a local keyboard player (John Hegarty?)
coming on for 30 minutes and he played nearly everything the crowd asked for.
But the Dublin crowd, who had got Bill Callahan to smile, couldn't break down
that determination to "make the worst of a bad situation."  But it was a great
gig and I reckon GO AND SEE HIM/THEM - YOU WON'T REGRET IT.

SANDY DENNY

The fully digested Peter Miller wrote:  <<I've been listening to a bloke called
Sandy Denny..>>.  That solves the mystery of how the late Sandy fell down the
stairs to become "the late Sandy Denny".  Now I realise it must have been that
he couldn't handle high heels.  Not many people know that Philip Lynott was
taught bass guitar by a guy called Brush Shiels and was in a Dublin band called
Skid Row, led by the same
Mr Shiels and they released a single (for Irish market only, I think, 1969
approx) called "Sandy's Gone".  Maybe it was about Mr Denny.

NATURE OF LOVE
Madeleine McNeil's interesting comments sparked off some responses on LOVE.
With more life past than life future, I was going to Report Back that it's
probably most vivid from 20 to 25 or so and that it's just chemical, but that it
seems to provide the biggest hit at that stage.  But I won't.  Instead I'll
remember that I went into a church called the Madeleine in Paris on Good Friday
many years ago and there were literally buckets and buckets of flowers and a
smell of incense and candlewax and the stained glass light and it was grate.

Happy second decadence

Martin C,
who didn't ask for the F and doesn't want it

the system manager.

for the presence of computer viruses.