Sinister: Get out of the office. . .

Odle, Katharine KOdle at xxx.org
Thu Oct 11 19:19:24 BST 2001

Dear Sinisterines,

Today is one of those maddening days when every office cliche seems to be
coming true.  Having slept poorly (at least that's my excuse for today), I
came in about forty-five minutes late.  Usually I can slide in and thread my
way to my desk without too much notice, but today I got stopped in the hall
by a particularly perky Office Slave who tapped his watch, and with a sly
Perma-Grin, commented, "Well, guess you're not the early bird getting the
worm this morning, huh?!  O, well-- it's almost Friday!"  Is getting a worm
supposed to be an incentive?  Also, it's irritating how we're always in the
midst of a countdown to Friday, which begins on Monday.  No one seems to
know what day it actually is-- it's always ___ days til Friday.  So then I
got back to my desk, and the radio had already been claimed by an office
mate.  There is a covert radio war going on in my office, which is the size
of a small bedroom, but contains five desks and a long "workstation," which
is actually a euphemism for "place on which to pile up random crap."  On
this particular morning, the radio was tuned to an especially soulful R&B
station.  It always amazes me how many syllables can be contained in one
line of an R&B song.  For instance, the line, "You are so pretty, girl," (an
actual line contained in numerous songs I've heard since 9:15) can be
extended to actually contain thirty-five syllables, most of which are in the
word "girl."  In addition, each syllable has a different note, as the
singer's voice travels up and down the range with reckless abandon.  It's
horrid!  However, I suppose I should be grateful that the office Metal Head
did not stake her claim on the radio.  Those times are the worst.  I can't
even hear myself think over the drums and screeching guitars, which are
puntuated by inane commentary by the djs, who usually make at least one
reference to various parts of the female anatomy.  Sometimes I am lucky, and
everyone else will be out or arrive later than me, and I will get the radio
all to myself, and I will play B&S to my heart's content!  It's funny-- we
never talk about the radio war, and no one ever mentions that they despise
the other people's musical taste.  We just carry on, and jump at our chances
when we have them.  Although my supervisor did once make a comment that went
like this, "I always know when Katie has the radio, because there's always
something weird playing."  That seems uncalled for!

Last week, I mentioned to dear Rachel Fruitloop that I am undertaking the
goal of having more fun, especially mid-week.  I am finding it more and more
necessary to break up the monotony of the workweek.  Last night, i did so by
having dinner with two very close friends.  It was lovely, because we walked
to a little restaurant that was lit entirely by strings of white lights and
candles, and we ate good food and drank good wine and laughed and laughed.
One of those times that are so sublimely wonderful that you almost remove
yourself from it for a moment, and think, "My god, I'm HAPPY!"  It was
lovely, and much-needed.

I hope that you are all doing well, and have some sublime moments of your
own today.

Love,
Katie (Cheeriodle, Honorary Rachel-- ready to do Mix-Tape Battle!)

P.S.-- Only two days til Friday.  Or so I hear.