Sinister: the laziness of a massive-novel reader

Sarah Garrett Sonner ssonner at xxx.com
Fri Oct 12 01:03:17 BST 2001

Sinister:

Like many, I am filled with angst. Like some, I am in London. Like the
witty, I will rely on

HEADINGS, LIKE AEOLUS

It's been ages since my last de-lurk. Apologies for disappointing those of
you who opened this message expecting it to be from Ken Chu, and then also
apologies to Mr Chu himself for stealing his time-honored subject style. I
have an alliterative name though, does that get me something? Perhaps if I
were blessed with my own personal Editor I would know such things as
deadlines, and even editing, and would rally my wit in this forum more than
once per annum. I would ask Peter Miller to oblige, but I bet he's already
booked solid, and I couldn't take it if he left again.

SHOVE IT

I'm behind the times, but I only just got ahold of Jonathan David. The clock
song is my favorite, by far, and I know I'm echoing other people in the
archives when I say I'm disappointed in the version of "Loneliness" that was
included. I prefer my scratchy taped Tube copy, cause there they sound like
they're having some fun. What's that feeling you get when you hear something
and you realize you just have to hear it several times every day for at
least the next month or you won't be able to breathe? I was hoping it would
happen with JD and renew flagging faith, but maybe next time.

WHO HAVE BEEN CALLED BY SOME "THE NEW STROKES"

I missed it the first time around, and heard the live recording of the White
Stripes just the other night. (During one of my weeknight dates with John
Peel.) I never thought anything could remind me of both the Cramps and Bobby
Conn. (The latter being a unique entertainer local to Chicago.) It managed
to make me get up and move around my room like the rock 'n' roll dork that I
am. (Those of you attending the LondonIndieUSA thing tomorrow also risk
seeing such movement. If I drink. Enough.) Though I couldn't help but notice
the formula of blues guitar licks + catchy drum beat + quirky vocals + pithy
lyrics = time-tested rock recipe. Not to diss it--maybe it's about time I
appreciate a good tune just because and not question things so damn much.

"KANSAS CITY"

So, just a guess here that no one else was engrossed by the A&E "biography"
of Lieber & Stoller, with all its mention of the Brill building and such?
Admittedly, that was broadcast in America back in August, when I was "away."
I was surprised to find out how much of pop music's "standards" they'd
written, and how they didn't really want to write for Elvis anymore after a
certain point, because he was too popular and they'd rather write "dirtier"
songs. Is it the song's writer that influences, or the musicians that play
it?

I LOVE THE CITY

And these questions of latest big indie things and who's writing the popular
songs now got me thinking about Hefner. I still think Darren writes good
songs, even if now the band plays them with more things plugged in than
before. His songs hold up pretty well as such, nevermind instrumentation.
Perhaps in the sixties he would have been one of those guys hired by a
studio just to write, the payola men having perhaps peremptorily dismissed
his voice as unfit for radio of the day. I don't have the album yet, just
the Alan Bean single, but I love the last part of "A Better Man," and the
combination of everything there. Those minutes are like a really good
milkshake. Hmm, that image was much more wholesome than I thought myself
capable of, and certainly more wholesome than Hefner deserve.

FROM THE HEART OF THE AMERICAN METROPOLIS
And having now arrived in a postcode near some of you, I'll make my way to
Farringdon on Friday. I was planning to go by foot, but my Luddite--or is it
Amish--ambitions will probably be quashed by my predominant laziness. If
anyone wants to meet up for pre-event libations, give a shout. It's a shame
for a lady to drink alone you know, and I've spent too many nights, chin in
hand, wondering where one must go to dance to Ladytron and their ilk in this
town.

1 2 3 4 baby see you later,

xo Sarah

(and sorry too for the following list abuse)
PS 1: If Velocity Girl is around, could you send me your address? I want to
finally say hello and thank you properly before I swoon from guilt.

PS 2: David Strange, I've lost your e-mail as well. Darn transatlantic
moves. Let me know if you're out there. I'm losing everything, even my train
of