Sinister: Open days are far aways...

Nik Ovenden nik_ovenden at xxx.com
Fri Oct 12 20:57:12 BST 2001

Will Salt said:
"Maybe I should invite listees to move in, and she'd
stay away all the time."

Disturbingly enough, this post coincided with my
decision to let one fly on the site.  Hello and
welcome.

EDINBURGH OPEN DAY
Being a wee southern jessie, i am catching the bus
tuesday evening to arrive for the open day on the
wednesday.  I've got a place, but i'm going with a
friend who's applying, y'see, and she's scared.
We'd like to stay over in the city.  Well, we have to.
 Our tickets say so.  The problem is that we'd very
much like to see the night-type places to go.
This problem extends to the fact that most B&B's (and
the youth hostel) lock us out at 11pm.

Pleeeeeeeeeeease can anyone recommend any places where
we can get a bed and then stay out till 3am before
returning?  Of course, if any edinburghy listees could
offer us a piece of floor, i'm sure some presents,
cd's, booze etc. would be forthcoming.  Do i sound
desperate?  I fully encourage begging...

I hope someone can help, since it'd be a copout to
travel for 12 hours only to stay in once we ge
there...
Oh, and if any listees are actually going to the open
day, can you email me?  I've got 36 hours to kill once
i get into the city, only a small fraction of which do
i have plans for.

Plea over, now for the rambling.

I haven't posted since, as the politicians darkly call
it, "the events of September 11th".  However, i was
pleased to read your comments.  I adopted a new yorker
to share my sympathy with, as i have problems with
expression.  and impressions.  I said, all pandora
left was hope, so what else can we do?

CD's
really really have been posted!  to all of you except
a couple, who i'm waiting on replies to see if you
really want them, or want others as well.
On this note, i now have a bootleg of Elbow/Goldrush
and Spiritualized.  I saw 3 gigs last week, and didn't
bootleg the Beta Band as i decided to drink wine all
evening instead.

Wine
A drink i always rejected as girly, but my new
programme of tolerance has led for me to discover that
it isn't really that bad...especially after 7 glasses
in a hot gig venue.

Travelling.
I suppose now is the time, as my pleas grow thick with
desperation, to mention that next year i intend to
travel the world.
Thus, any listees in Russia, India, China, Japan,
Egypt, Australia, New Zealand, Brazil, Mexico, USA and
Canada that would be interested in meeting me (and
perhaps offering me a floorboard to sleep on) are
welcome to email me.  I have an extensive array of
bribery to make it worth your while.  forward your
demands, and they will be met post-haste.
If no-one mails, i suppose i'll just trudge along.
But since i have only met 2 listees (one of which i
was romantically involved with for many years, the
other i managed to chat with for 5 minutes at the 3rd
festival we both attended), i'd love to raise the
stakes with some international-listee-meetings!

Well, this has gone far enough.
While the will jokes are funny, they still don't beat
the "Nicholas girls shouldn't climb trees" joke which
infected my first 10 years of life...

All the best,
Love Niko
xxx