Sinister: and me just feelin fine

Kirsten Kenyon chinacat81 at xxx.com
Sat Oct 13 05:27:34 BST 2001

  today was full of yelling and harsh words and a constant pounding
coming from the second-story bathroom, where two small women were
attempting to retile a shower.  i took off early for work and went to
the village popcorn wagon and probably looked rather silly sitting in
the windy garden in my parka, huddled next to the bonfire and quietly
enjoying a cherry icee. but it was lovely...no hammering sounds, just
the crackling fire and the occasional train whistle.
   there were some high school boys talking silliness.  they sounded
like my old friends....well. señor frahm, my high school spanish
teacher, used to make his students choose new names for themselves to
use during class.  i shouldn't say "used to..." i'm sure he still
does it.  i was 'olga' every semester, because it reminded me of big
underwear.  my brother went by a random set of numbers and letters,
or sometimes 'joey gladstone.'  elizabeth made a certain teacher
refer to her by means of a specific series of clicking sounds made in
the back of the throat.  anyway...some of us used to secretly call
señor frahm "El Huevo," and mr. gilbert was "The Pear."  this was not
very nice, but i must say it was always a treat when El Huevo and The
Pear happened to be standing next to each other.  it was almost a
picnic, if only there's been a teacher shaped like a bottle of wine.
or a can of red bull.  something...it was silly.
  i got up and went back to the diner for more coffee and
heard "america" on the radio.  is that the name of the song?  i don't
know.  for some reason, it reminded me of the itchy polyester
uniforms we had to wear for the new berlin youth softball league.  i
played right field, because all of the kids who are god-awful at
softball always...well, very few eight-year-old girls hit to right
field.  i would usually entertain myself by picking dandelions,
occasionally glancing up with a dopey look on my face to make sure
that the other team was still at bat.  i think that song is supposed
to make you think about things like itchy softball uniforms.
   wait, am i engaged to ken chu?
  kirsten, wondering what sort of food she resembles

Care2 make the world greener!