Sinister: I want to be a part of it...Dundee, Dundee

Lynsey Callaghan u07lec at xxx.uk
Sat Oct 13 19:24:47 BST 2001

Hello sinister,
Firstly and most importantly:

DUNDEE RENDEZVOUS NEWSFLASH!!!
For anyone who's interested, we'll be meeting in Dundee train station at
2pm on Saturday 20th October. We haven't decided where we're going yet, but
it will most likely involve a pub and a lovely dog (assuming that those two
things can be successfully combined in Dundee, otherwise, it will involve a
lovely dog and somewhere that's like a pub, but more canine-friendly).
Rachel Sunnyset has already sent out an email, but in case anyone missed
it, any interested parties can email either of us off list:
sunnie_set at hotmail.com
u07lec at abdn.ac.uk
and let us know if you're coming, or have any ideas for where to go.
Rachel knows things about trains too, if you're not overly familiar with
the wonders of GNER. She's very organised, you know.

Sorry for the large letters and excessive use of symbols, but the
excitement of a more northerly sinister meet-up warrants it all.

The other day, a friend of mine had a party at his flat; it was his
birthday. In between eating Mini Cheddars and drinking wine, I went outside
for a cigarette. (He lives in a block of posh, new flats, so there's even a
porch to stand under when smoking. How thoughtful). Standing outside, I was
unavoidably just beside someone else's window, and the curtains were open.
(Now, I know I shouldn't look in people's windows, my mother always told me
off for it and slapped my wrists, but I  still do it, and I know everyone
else does too, so don't all look at me so disapprovingly! ) Through the
window I could see a gramophone sitting on a big wooden table; the window
was open slightly, and there was some beautiful (what sounded like) eastern
European folk music. It was cool and breezy standing outside, and the stars
were out, and I was happy. Often, I hate living in this city, it's so far
away from everything and everyone else. But sometimes I have days where I
spend more time looking at things, and listening to things, and it turns
out it's not such a bad place to be after all.

My new flat has an amazing view. From the windows in the front room (of
which we have several), we look out over a graveyard, which stretches right
down to the road, and carries on past the road on the other side. Behind
the graveyard is a big hill, I think it's called Broad Hill, with a bench
on top, where you can go and sit in the wind, with broken Buckfast bottles
under your feet, and watch kids playing football, or watch people at the
driving range, or watch cars driving along the road that passes beside the
beach. Beyond the hill, you can see the sea, and in the morning you can
look out and see the sunrise, and watch the great, hulking ships come in
all day.
My bedroom looks out onto an ugly warehouse that houses a sign design
business, but I guess I just have to deal with that. Maybe I should
relocate to the front room on a permanent basis. I'll consult my flatmate.
(I don't think she'll approve).

I spent the whole summer wishing I was back at university, and now that I
am back, I'm wishing it was summer again. I seem to be spending a large
proportion of my time either in #sinister, or avoiding the computer rooms
at university so that I don't end up in #sinister. This is very bad. It may
be a good way of passing the time during the day, but it sure as hell won't
get me a degree. Unfortunately.

Erm....that's it. But come to Dundee. Everyone's doing it.

Lyns

Lynsey Callaghan
u07lec at abdn.ac.uk