Sinister: Scribbling all over the Nursery walls with crayon.....

aale002 at xxx.nz aale002 at xxx.nz
Thu Oct 18 05:32:49 BST 2001

Goodness, but I'm excited!  Spilling Ribena
all over the show!  Can't wait to be let out
of the Nursery, in fact.  So I'm writing this
in crayon on the wall (hope Mummy doesn't see)
to keep myself amused.  I probably won't send
this to the list when I get my voice, though.
Be too embarrassed.  Then again, if you're
reading this now, it means I decided to prove
to myself that I didn't really know it all
after all.  That's pretty odd, when you think
about it.

Actually, I'm not just writing this because I
want to send it (or not...)I'm trying to avoid
doing _real_ work for school.  I'm supposed to
be working on an essay.  It's called '"Can't
get enough of your love,baby...": Why Barry
White could never be an Evolutionary
Psychologist.'  I study philosophy and
psychology.  Mostly, I spend a lot of time
drinking tea and thinking and talking, about
love and metaphors and brains and possible
worlds and other cool things.  I want to be a
rich and famous philosopher when I grow up.
My mother has lost all hope that I'll ever get
a real job.

And then there's the library.  I work at the
university library...oh, by the
way, I'm in Auckland, New Zealand.  Hi,
Lawrence!  Congrats on your impending
matrimonials. Nice to know that when I say
something like <gruffvoice>'Jesus, Murray and
Joseph, that's not a fair suck of the sav!'
</gruffvoice>, someone will understand. ;-}

Anyways, I work at the library.  I have lots
of jobs there.  One is to sit at a little desk
by the entrance and exit and make sure people
aren't stealing books.  I'm pretty crap at
catching thieves, though, so mostly I just talk
to people and look at the girls.  Another of my
jobs is working in the book returns room.  I
have to check in all the books that come through
the slots.  People put some fairly strange things
through the slots as well as books.  We
have a little collection on the wall.

The shifts I work are quiet ones, so there isn't
really much to do.  No one returns books on
Wednesday or Thursday nights, or on Saturday
afternoons.  So I have to find other things to do
to amuse myself.  Sometimes I wander across the
road to see my friend Catherine, who works on the
ticketing desk of the Maidment theatre. I have to
be careful not to get caught, though.  I'm not
supposed to leave the book returns room while I'm
working.  So I pretend I'm a ninja, because no
matter what movie you're watching, if it's got
ninjas in it, you know it's going to be Quality
Entertainment.

We also have a competition in the book returns
room to see who can find the funniest name. Some
books have holds placed on them by patrons (we're
not allowed to call them 'punters' anymore.)
When we get a book with a hold on it, a little
slip is printed out with the title of the book
and the person who requested its name.  The best
one I have found so far is 'Venus Wing Man Mo'.
But I don't like playing that game, because
everyone else always brings up my own name.  It
is <deep breath> Andre Enrico Ciriaco Federico
Ambrogio Alessi.  My sister's name is Katherine
Amy Alessi, or just 'Kat'.  Go figure.

Also, one of the other things I do to amuse myself
is have singalongs.  I call it 'DIY karaoke'.
Tigermilk (my favourite album) is never far from
the CD player, nor is If You're Feeling Sinister.
I have a grand old time singing along to My
Wandering Days Are Over (my favourite song most
days) and Get Me Away From Here I'm Dying (my
favourite song the rest of the time.)  I have to
make sure no one can hear me, though, because I'm
a baritone.  And singing B&S in baritone is just
downright silly.

The story of how I first heard of B&S is a little
silly, too.  I was living in Gisborne, which is a
tiny little city that claims to be the first city
in the world to see the sun each day.  Mostly,
people just surf.  I had gone there for a birthday
party one weekend, and spent my return bus ticket
money on Guinness, so I ended up staying for a
year.  I couldn't surf, but I had a deep voice,so
I started working on an 'alternative' radio
station that was operating out the back of a bar.
Instead of getting paid in cash, we got free drinks
at the bar.  One weekend, New Zealand indie legend
Chris Knox (who does solo stuff and also has a side
project called the Tall Dwarfs) came to play at the
bar, and we interviewed him on air before the show.
In one of the song breaks, he mentioned a "really
cool band called Belle and Sebastian".  Then he
asked us if he could spend a few minutes alone in
the studio to run the show his way.  We were all a
little tiddly from the vodka-and-Red-Bulls at the
time, so we agreed.  I don't quite know what he did,
but from that time on, our computer programme with
all our playlist on it started acting up.  We'd
programme Bic Runga's Bursting Through and get
Tool's Stinkfist, or Beck's Loser and get Dean
Martin's That's Amore.  It made life interesting,
anyway.

After that, I moved back here to Auckland to start
uni(again), and while wandering through Borders one day,
noticed they had a Belle and Sebastian album on
listening post.  Remembering Chris Knox's enthusiasm,
I popped on the headphones and...well, it was
Tigermilk.  'Nuff said, really (except that my
friends Ben, who's a Morris dancer, and Catherine,
who isn't, both have copies too, because of my
enthusiasm/nagging insistence.)

Now I spend my days doing all sorts of things.
Darcy, who's a friend of mine too, challenges me to a
beard-growing competition every summer, and wins every
time, so this year I thought I'd get a head start.  I
started three weeksago.  People say I look a little
like a fox with it, because of the lighter patches, and
the grey. I already had the nickname "Cunning Andre"
(well, thatÂ’s what I call myself, anyways-my friend Mia
calls me "Machiavellian"), so it seems appropriate,
somehow.  I guess I'll have to send a picture too,
because a beard is kind of a body part.

I also spend my weekends dancing like a dervish and
having more spontaneous DIY karaoke hours.  There
are a lot of really good local bands, like
Goldenhorse, Handsome Geoffrey and Goodshirt, who
are worth going to see when I can't get access to the
CD player at the flat to play my B&S.  Goldenhorse
especially are faves of mine, partially because my
friend Catherine (who works at the Maidment) is friends
with them, and because they have a name that encourages
people to shout out "Go the 'horse!" at random moments
during their gigs.

I'm toning things down a little now, though, because
I'm getting on a bit (25 in December-eeeek!)  I'm
trying to be a Good Vegetarian, but I seem to fall off
the wagon by eating lamb kebabs about three times a week,
and the occasional Double Whopper.  Darcy says that makes
me a Bad Vegetarian. My mother is also worried I'll never
find a serious girlfriend in time to have babies and settle
down, like all my old friends.  I don't really pay much
attention to her when she's like that.  Instead I just
carry on haphazardly pursuing a Sexy Nice Jewellery Making
Girl that I know and writing my Great New Zealand Novel.
It's called Losing Hope, and it's about not being in love
anymore.  Or about how the people that aren't with us
still affect us.  Or something. I get to use my three
favourite words, anyway:  susurrus, bungalow and expunge.

Well, I did go on a bit, didn't I?  Bit too self-absorbed,
too.  Bugger.  Never was very good at editing.  Oh well.
Must do better next time.

Right-o, that's me,

Cunning Andre