Sinister: The return of Miss Jenni-picnic Mummy extraordinaire

Christina McDermott zcraw96 at xxx.uk
Thu Oct 18 14:58:57 BST 2001

Mark E. Smith had a ghost in his house. I have a boy in mine.
He appeared one day when I wasn't looking. Just hanging around Camden Tube
Station looking all sweet and wet in a torrential downpour. I'd drunk too
much Ribena one night and was feeling generous when he rang me.
"I want to escape from this place. It's boring and all we do is race cars.
Can I come and live with you?"
And me being a kind soul remembered when he held my hand on Westminster
bridge the other week when night and stars streaked the sky like paint and
the way he looked in the shadow of fairy lights. He had promised me that
we'd go on the London Eye one day at sunset and watch London come to life
as though someone had waved a magic wand over it. I had put my head in his
lap in the park looking at the Houses of Parliament and we had marveled
over the way the moon and the sun worked together. We looked at the
architecture and smiled and laughed as glossy green leaves dripped on my
nose.
So, me being a kind soul...I took pity on him. "Of course you can come and
live with me. It'll be fun and we can watch good films like Together and
play Transformers and have midnight feasts and I'll play you Tompaulin and
you can play me the whole of 69 love songs in one go."
And so I swept the boy up and took him home and wrapped him in a green
stripey quilt. And for some unknown reason, he's decided to stay. Things of
course are never entirely easy. We don't have much money and sooner or
later he's going to find his own little room with a roof garden and fairy
lights and an immense amount of liquers for me to drink. But for now it's
fun. Maybe sometimes, you have to just sweep people up and take them away
from places filled with too much dust and too many memories. Stand on a
bridge and look at the stars and see how you feel then. Do silly things
like have kung-fu fights in public or dare each other to speak with foreign
accents on the tube but at the same time smile at each other and stick your
tongues out and dance stupidly in clubs to the Moldy Peaches. Only then do
you know who your friends are.
* * * * ** * * * * * * * * * ** * * *  * * * ** * * * * * * * * * * **  **
* * **  * ** *

Anyway, before you all wonder who this imposter is who has dared come into
the fray without hanging her head and shuffling her feet fresh from the
nursery...well, it's me, Miss Photojenni, back again but this time in a new
city with lots of new friends to have fun with. I have the delightful Mr.
Danson-Hatcher living with me in my lovely Halls of Residence of doom at
the moment. It's highly amusing if nothing else, if only for his propensity
to drink mega-caffinated coffee and jump around my room trying to touch the
ceiling when I'm out. I'm living in Camden now after finally bidding
goodbye to the lovely delights of Manchester and going out to the big scary
world of University. I'm now at University College London which is scary
and posh but at the same time one of the most beautiful buildings I have
ever seen. It's hidden from view when you're walking down Gower Street
which is surrounded by elegant white Georgian buildings on both sides, but
then you reach the main gates and look through to the main Quad...and
you're just taken aback by this huge imposing dome. It's absolutely amazing
and one of the reasons I decided to come here in the first place. Apart
from the imposing nature of the place, it's lovely. The people I live with
are highly amusing shown by one of my flatmate's propensity to get stoned
and do dance routines which involve doing cartwheels and then crashing into
hedges/gates/tables/whatever is there at the time.
Me and Hatchback were at the Betsy Trotwood on Friday with the rest of the
Sinister "massive" and *wowsers* it was so good! Ben Apps-you are such a
little groover and shaker! Ben Apps used to go to my high school when we
were wee and had the same clarinet teacher as me and everything and we only
found out about this the other week when we went to the pub. That was very
scary, but really lovely at the same time and invokes the tired old cliche
"Oooh...it's a small world isn't it?" Anyway, the boy really is a little
mover, seen in his getting-it-down to PJ and Duncan (Thank you sooo much
for playing "Let's get ready to rumble!")and the Moldy Peaches. And he was
wearing our old school tie too! Hooray! The lovely Mr Carsmile also played
Spearmint's "Sweeping the Nation" which is a truly fantastic song...but can
I just ask sir because this is a need to know basis, what is that song
called that you played that involves the masterful lyrics "Went to the
disco/bumper to bumper/wait a minute/where's me jumper?"
Anyhoo...it was lovely meeting all the London Sinisterines, especially Mr
Chu again who I had a lovely dance with and made the "rawk" sign at a
number of times :-) It's good to see also that he appreciates the
masterfulness of Camden Fish Bar after a good night out as much as I do.
The night ended with a rounsing rendition of the "Playbus" song on the
Nightbus home (with all the dialects in the right place and everything!
*giggle*) and yummy chips. So, a good night was had by all I guess. Nice to
see that so much money was made for the Red Cross. Definately worth it and
I hope to be there again in six months time :-) Oh, and Mr.
Carsmile...Jame's L is still slightly prominent on his hand...and mine just
magically became a part of me. What pens were you lot using? Black magic
voodoo ones or something?
Sorry for not reporting back on the Manchester Picnic sooner as that was
unfortunately the week I had to get everything together and sorted before I
moved here. It was *ace* and pah! to all of you who said you were going to
be there but weren't, because you don't know what you missed. Big Stu
really is the biggest person I have seen. (To someone as wee as me he looks
about seven foot. He is also apparently my son now which disturbs me that
someone as wee as me can bear someone so big...also who's the father?
Please don't tell me I have another love child on my hands!) Amy is lovely,
Phillip is a sweetie, Ken Chu rawks the set and Danson-Hatcher is
just...well...amusing, if only for his antics in snogging Mancunian
bouncers. I ended up getting rather drunk and singing "The State I'm In" on
a table *blush* which I blame entirely on Big Stu and his drinking games!
Anyway, a wicked time was had by all...we must do it again sometime.
Christmas good for anyone?
Someone mentioned a London picnic. Could we have it at the Trocadero
please? Me and Hatchback went there the other day and saw the bestest DDR
machine in the world with a boy on it who was the bestest person at it I
had ever seen. That boy had feet of fire! He was even better than my sister
who was spending £10 a day during the summer on DDR! *whisper* Don't tell
anyone, but he may even have been better at it than Mister Chu *hides* I
think we should have it there and all get drunk and play DDR and go on the
arcade machines. That would be wicked :-)
People keep mentioning Fosca and how good they are. Damn right
too....they're a foxy band, if only because my bestest friend in the whole
wide world, the popkitten Kate Dornan is their new keyboardist and
therefore you should all go and see them if only because of her. She looks
like Trish out of Broadcast and has a propensity to dance behind her
keyboard (which is truly amazing and fantastic...even if it did nearly fall
on my head when I was round at her house the other day). She's just got
back home from touring Sweden with them and told me lots of funny stories
about people asking her for autographs and foxy wee Swedish indie boys
coming backstage after gigs and giving her shot measurements they stole
from behind the bar for her. If anybody from here is from Sweden and they
saw Fosca, were they good? Did Kate dance as amusingly as she said she did?
Has Dickon's singing improved? I always thought he looked like a younger
Luke Haines personally...he just needs the wry humour and biting sarcasm
and then he'll be there.
Wowsers, this is a long post! But before I go...regarding the whole
Will/Rachel/Chris mix tape battle...can I join too? My proper Christian
name is Christina after all which is the feminine version of Christopher.
Cay is just a shortened version of it...and I make a right foxy mix tape to
dance around your room too. The popkitten says I have the strangest music
taste in the world which is probably true...but hey, you'd get to hear my
wonderful new band and if you're really good I may even include some
sweeties :-)

Love and Lollipops as always,
Miss Jenni (Cay)
xXx

P.S. Whoever Ken Chu's current wife is at this moment in time-could you
please remind him that this month's maintenance for Pika is late? Her
grandma's getting fed up with paying for her Red Bull and DDR addiction and
threatening to send her to her father so he can look after her. *hehehe*
You've been warned :-)