Sinister: "So twee they're almost fey!"

Kate Keenan shrimpmagnet at xxx.com
Thu Oct 18 21:50:31 BST 2001

Hello Sinister!

I'm a new person who was flinging myself against things in the frustration
of being in the nursery so long and then, finally finding the door left open
one fine day, suddely became tongue-tied and toddled back to play with my
see n' say.  So I've been lurking.  And of course the more fantastic you all
are, and the longer I wait, the more the pressure builds...  I want to make
my debut in stunning array but I'n never quite up to it.  So I'm going to
stop being so silly and just start with not a bang but a whimper.  Or at
least a bashful mumble.  I was reading Caleb Ben Moore's (A.K.A.R.A.W.) post
about personal slang and thought it only fitting to ask b&s fans (Scottish
at heart) if anyone else indulges in the phrase, "What am I, scotch mist?"
used in much the same circumstances as chopped liver might be.  It was a
great favorite of my dad's.  Whenever I pull that one out, my Canadian
friends' eyes water with what I (like to) think is bemused glee.  My
Italian-Canadian too-cool-for-even-indie friend has started to bandy it
about in his circles and it is apparently causing quite a stir...

So there you have it.  Sorry to barge in like that without a more formal
introduction but if I may say, it feels like I've known you all my lives.

Much Love,

Kate

p.s. I humbly offer my alliterative super-powers as Kate Keenan - not to
encroach on the initial territory of the flooringly clever and cool (Klever
and Kool?  (Oh why don't I just give up, I'll never reach such heights!))
Kristen Kenyon.

p.p.s.  The suject line is my friend Mark's slogan for Belle and Sebastian.
He uses it slightly condescendingly but I think it's quite A-OK.

p.p.s. upon proof-reading, I should clarify, I'm not a "new person" in the
sense of having spontaneously materialized from the ether moments ago,
merely new to sinister.