Sinister: Me and the Major...

sweet adeline janehavoc at xxx.net
Fri Oct 19 06:15:29 BST 2001

Hello,
This is obviously my first post, and it's been a long and harrowing day,
so this may be a bit disjointed. I'm fairly new to the world of B&S, but
they've become somewhat familiar companions during my daily train rides
in and out of downtown Chicago. Certain songs are now associated with
particular landmarks, like Simple Things with the graffiti at the edge
of an industrially destroyed field that says "picture us somewhere
else". I always look for that, but when I try and explain it to anyone,
they just look at me as though I'd asked them which brand of diapers
they find most absorbent. But onward. I'm another bookshop girl,
relegated to the children's section, and most of my workdays are a blur
of escalators and credit cards. It would be somewhat bleak except for
beautiful scenery and loveable, snide coworkers.
It seems like all of you enjoy anecdotes, and it's been fun reading all
around. Here's one of mine for your reading (dis) pleasure. Chicago,
like any city, is full of characters, some incredibly fun, some tragic,
some that are frightening beyond description. Once, on a night that i
was working quite late, I left work and headed for Walgreens, when I ran
across a man dressed as Jesus, complete with a cross slung over one
shoulder that looked as though it were nailed together with love. I
followed him inside, and decided to see what his drugstore needs were. I
caught up with him in the snack aisle, selecting a package of hostess
cupcakes, and the whole thing was somehow a poem in and of itself: the
cross, the cupcakes, and the deliberately deadpan faces of the cashiers
and customers. I guess he felt he was fulfilling his purpose in roaming
the streets in his garb, and any hint of absurdity had the importance of
a paper scrap scuttling by his feet.
Well, I am being assaulted with pitiful looks by my hungry significant
other, so I suppose I should go away again.
B.