Sinister: stainless steel providers

Dirty Vicar dirtyvicar at xxx.net
Sat Oct 20 11:34:31 BST 2001

Hello,

This is my first ever post, I'm just out of the nursery, I hope you all play
friendly.

actually, that's not true, but I mail so rarely I could probably get away
with claiming to be a newbie every time, although why I'd want to I'm not
sure.

I went to see Tindersticks the week before last. They had loads of people
playing violins and other string instruments and stuff with them, and while
it was all very impressive technically I found myself thinking I'd prefer
seeing the Sticks on their own or maybe just with a very small string
section - as was all the arrangements and stuff were a bit overly
complicated and fussy and so on.

Which reminds me of "Fold Your Hands Child, You Walk Like A Peasant". I
remember hearing that whereas on earlier B&S records they got in music
school mates of Sarah and Isobel to provide string accompaniment, but for
this they paid actual professional musicians actual professional amounts of
money to come and do it. And this is always presented as a step up in the
world. But I'm not convinced. The strings and stuff on FYHCYWLAP are again
just a bit too mannered and get in the way of direct enjoyment of the music.
At times.

so I say gifted amateurs all the way, let the professionals shag off back to
the London Philharmonic.

Now it's time for some quoted comment:

on 12/10/01 21:14, caleb ben moore at opaline_moon at yahoo.com wrote:

> and then the person said the kicker: "i've
> made a conscious decision NOT to join the list.
> we around here feel it's SO pubescent."

They're an odd bunch, the Jeepster boarders (and it's actually changed its
name to Bowlie and been cut loose from Jeepster, but everyone still calls it
Jeepster). The whole thing is more chat oriented which is great for people
like me who like issuing chatty post, so I post there much more than I do
here. I remember once mentioning Sinister, assuming that most people there
would also be on here, but no, as you say, lots of people said "Ewww,
Sinister, we don't like that".

The thing that decided me that the Jeepster board is basically RUBBISH and
Sinister is KEWL was when I went to Glasgow to see B&S. There were
simultaneous Jeepster and Sinister get togethers, of which the Sinister
picnic had a million attendees, and the Jeepster one had five.

on 18/10/01 19:20, Joe Vester at machiavellian_llama at mac.com wrote (listing
his indie dream time):

> Kurt Wagner
> (lambchop (OK, so not really "indie")

I thought this was an indie dream team, so why are you bringing in members
of the X-Men?

It's an old joke I know.

You know this mix tape challenge thing that's going on? How does that mesh
with Llaura Llew's transatllantic mix tape challenge thing?

Incidentally, it's been ages since Priscilla posted, does she go into
hibernation once strawberries are out of season?

catch you later,

DV