Sinister: Essex Green in B&S are Shite Shocker

Peter Carter p.carter at xxx.uk
Sun Oct 21 14:44:29 BST 2001

It's be quite a while since I last wrote, due to a changing of residences
and a lack of internet access. I currently have a backlog of over 300
sinister e-mails!

Anyway, on Thursday I had the good fortune of seeing The Essex Green and The
Chemistry Experiment in Bath. I got there pretty early and asked the DJ to
play some Sleater Kinney... and he smiled at me in that way that DJs do when
you ask them to play their favourite bands... and he played it two songs
later. From that point the night just got better and better. I talked to a
guy from TCE for a while and he seemed pretty nice (he's actually a member
is Sinister I discovered!), then they went on stage and they were great.

After that I went to the merchandise stall, and bought a CE album... and the
guy selling is complemented me on my Candle Records t-shirt. I said I liked
a lot of the stuff on the label, but I really liked The Lucksmiths and I
talked for a little while about how much I liked them and that they are one
of my favourite bands. The guy then said 'Hi, I'm Mark for The Lucksmiths'
and I was pretty stunned. He was really nice though, and I talked to him
about me and Kara and how I loved Great Dividing Range and Guess How Much I
Love You because they remind me of her... and he seemed pretty chuffed that
I liked them so much.

I saw the Essex Green after that, and they were brilliant... really bouncy,
high energy indie-pop... though they didn't play Mrs Bean, even though I
requested it, because they ran out of time. I was talking to the bassist
afterwards and he seemed pretty nice. However, I asked if he had ever been
compared to the mighty B&S, because almost every vaguely twee band seem to,
even when they sound nothing alike. And that's when it happened. He said
'Oh, B&S are shit, and I don't like that band that named themselves after
that song they did... Arab Strap, they're awful'... and I stood aghast, not
only was he slagging off two of my favourite bands, he seemed to have got
his information pretty twisted as well. I didn't say anything to him though,
because apart from that he seemed alright.

I also managed to line up interviews with TCE, Essex Green and The
Lucksmiths for my webzine, Fast Cow. Which should be up in a few weeks if
anyone's interested. Then I had to leave because the girl who gave me a lift
was bored and tired and I couldn't get home any other way. I missed most of
the main band, The French Kicks, set, but they didn't seem too great to me.
They were billed as the next Strokes... and that's not really that much of
an aspiration... not that The Strokes are bad, but they hardly set the world
alight. Oh, and I also worshipped a guy with a Moldy Peaches t-shirt, and he
seemed a little bemused.

Well, that's about it for now, fare thee well Sinistrites.

Peter