Sinister: Passive Periphrastic Never Looked So Good

M.E. Curtin mecurtin at xxx.ca
Tue Oct 23 06:19:37 BST 2001

R is for Rachel
A is for achel
C is for chel
H is for hel
E is for el
L is for l

Yes, kids, that masterpiece of modern language was something I came up
with when my friend, upon hearing the news that, as Best Man, he had to
direct his speech to the bride, was at a loss for words.  I find it
quite topical now.  Alas, I have no teamable name, but I don't think I
should join the Rachel side, because that's what everyone else is
doing.  On the other hand, I'm too spineless to be a Will, so I'll just
stay in the Switzerland of Marybeth.

Are you wondering why I'm writing?  I don't blame you.  The fact is, I
have to have a pastiche written for tomorrow at 9:00am.  Unfortunately,
it's 1:00am and I have no pastiche.  I do have an idea, though, but it's
really only driven by spite.  I want to imitate Alice Munro,
interminable harpy that she is.  I'm thinking of simply photocopying one
of her stories as is and seeing if my Prof. notices.  The point of all
this being, of course, that the list is once again my form of
procrastination.

On another note, does anyone know much about And You Will Know Us By the
Trail of Dead?  I'm going to see them tomorrow, but I only know a few
songs.  You see, round these parts there aren't many bands that dare to
tread, so I tend to go to shows just for the sake of feeling in the
loop.  I'm a sad creature, but that's the way it is.  It might also
explain my zeal to see The (International) Noise Conspiracy, not so much
for the music but more for the fact that I  can't believe they're
playing in London (but not THAT London).

I should leave you all before I truly corrupt your minds with my
lurkerspeak.  Sorry guys.  However, if, on the very unlikely chance
there are other Marybeths (or even Mary Beths), I suppose we could form
some sort of partisanal faction.  Maybe we could be the League of
Bi-Partite Names.  Think about it, Mary Anne, Mary Jane, Mary Kate,
etc., etc.........

Yours, randomly,
Marybeth