Sinister: Red Bull led to my life of crime

JAMES GILMER patchworkz7 at xxx.com
Thu Oct 25 23:05:53 BST 2001

Hullo Sinister peeps!

Uh, it's been a deathly dull week for me, not a punk rock week at all, and a
rather unproductive one at that. Yesterday was a nice day, but the
temperature quickly plunged into the 30's and now it's quite cold and grey
here in Michigan.

I rather like the cover of the new single, then again I do miss the old
style that the album covers had. Posters from the covers of Fold Your Hands
and This is Just a Modern Rock Song both adorne the walls of room, class
stuff those covers, but Jonathan David and the new one are both ace as well.

I'm really hoping we'll see a new album soon The singles are great, but
there's a rather large list of songs that B&S have done lately that aren't
out. Not counting the old demo stuff (Hurley's Having Dreams, Lord Anthony,
etc), there's still quiet a few:

The Season Has Arrived
Miraculous Technique
Nothing in the Silence
Shoot the Sexual Athlete

I get the feeling I'm forgetting one or two, but you all get the idea. I'd
love to see (though doubt they'll do it) the Portland, Oregon song out as
well, and I know my personal fave, Rhoda, will most likely never see a
release. Ah, well, that's what bootlegs are for, I suppose.

I should probably be frightened I knew all of the cartoon and comic book
characters from jarkko's animated indie team. Ah, well, there goes that last
of my indie cool creds.

I have to say, I don't think I want to be a Rachel or a Will. No, I'm quite
happy staying a Jim, sometimes even a James, and very rarely a Jimmy or
Jimmy G.

Besides, I've seen an example of Rachel Fruitloop's mix CD-fu and I fear her
tape mixing prowlness. Of course, if Lil Llew decided to throw her bonnet
into the ring it be a tough call.

I'm missing all the places I've been this summer, and all the friends I had
or made in those places. Stacey's posts made me remember the absolutely
brilliant time I had bouncing around the UK and Europe earlier this summer
(though I sadly didn't meet any sinister peeps) an of course as I sit here
surrounded by grad school catalogues I think about all the brilliant cities
I've passed through here in the states.

PF said; "Lansing - Now that *does* sounds interesting"

Nah, for *interesting* Michigan cities Ann Arbor takes the prize, one of the
few cities I'd love to live in Michigan. Lansing's okay though, and East
Lansing has MSU (my school), so  suppose I have to give it props.

Madison, now there's an ace city, and not just because our very own Elise
lives there. A friend called it the Berkley of the mid-west, and I suppose
that's apt. It's a cool town, very diverse, nice campus, good bohemian vibe
to it. I really dug Madison.

Then again, I grew up in lil Howell Michigan, where everything is so
dreadfully the same. Everyone dresses the same, listens to the same music,
reads the same newspapers...*sigh*

I suppose I'm feeling itchy because I've been trapped inside the last week
working on grad school junk.

Btw, are there *any* decent music mags out there? I used to read Puncture
for awhile, but I haven't seen it in any of the local booksellers lately.

Anyways, everyone must look at this...thing...I have found:

http://genrou.com/Terrible%20secret%20of%20space.swf

It's an astonishing odd and addictive piece of flash animation. It amused me
for several minutes earlier today.

I got several family members quite angery at me last night for wondering
outloud when the British would start shooting cruise missles into Boston for
all the money and aid we've given to the IRA over the last thirty years, or
for that matter, when we could expect Chilean paratroopers to start dropping
in to capture all the CIA agents and officials responsible for the thousands
murdered or disappeared by US backed thugs during the 70's and 80's.

I wonder if this country looks as insane from outside of States as it does
from the inside?

I've just been reading about a guy in Philly who was refused entry onto a
plane because he had a book by Edward Abby (Hayduke Lives) that featured a
bomb on the cover. The National Guard took him aaide and questioned him at
length.

So he booked a later flight and went home and got another book, and he was
questioned about his choice of reading material once more, this time he had
brought a copy of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, obviously the
prefered reading material of terrorists.

That stories almost as strange as the Kansas school district that mandated
that only patriotic costumes could be worn at Halloween.

Strange days...

Anyways, sorry for the rambling, keep it punk rock

Jim