Sinister: feeling strangely fine...

JohaN HUGO 12813249 at xxx.za
Fri Oct 26 10:41:11 BST 2001

yes, it's true, like a buckled and punctured tin of mushed peas (now
there's a name screaming out for a twee band: another i've thought of
recently, but i'm saving it for an appropriate post-subject* is "twee as
fuck", which i think would be cool but commercially limiting), you are
being spoilt by yet another e-mail from the southern horn of africa
(actually, there is n such thing as the southern horn of africa, that is,
outside the popular imagination and,  daresay, at least a couple of cut-
rate porn films, but it SOUNDS so picturesque - if you were reading
out loud, that is).

*which is not the same as post-modernism, only they're not
COMPLETELY not the same: rule number one of successful
philosophy scholarship (in answer to your qualms, andre): make sure
you write in such a way that even if what you're thinking about
COULD make sense, it DOESN'T. no lecturer will actually ever
ADMIT that they don't know what you're saying, but will knowingly
pretend to have been there long before you! (gosh-darn, what a mess of
parentheses, i'm sorry, all, but i hope it improves mental agility)

BUT WAIT! i'm sure i actually had stuff to say, and yes, i do, but
you'll be disappointed, i know. for the last few days, i've had this really
happy vibe (as in MUCH happier than i've been for a few months).
euphoria, really, and... I HAD NO IDEA WHY!!! but don't worry
(there, all breathe again), i've figured it out.
it's all about a haircut see. (see kate, it's not all bad!). does that mean
i'm boring? you tell me - or just shallow.
but, whatever the case my be, shears seem to have done the trick. see,
when  last had my heart broken, i though fuck it, and shaved my head
bare - which was silly for more than one reason, but mostly because it
was the middle of winter, and since then had just let it grow. "i'm
going for the beatles-cut", i'd faithfully assure myself whenever i'd
momentarily make the mistake of glancing at a mirror. well, that's
what i told myself, but really, i was just sulking without admitting it to
myself.
so monday, i thought (again) "fuck it" (i'm sorry honey, but i pull no
punches, i tell it like it is, etc. - my inner life also seems to suffer from
a tragically lacking vocabulary, and on its behalf i apologise), and set to
with the scissor. slinkily alliterative snipping and shearing, sawing and
secession of streaming strands of silky stuff succeeded speedily, and
now i'm happy to report that my hair bears a striking resemblance to
that of john squire, circa 1990. (in my opinion, this is a GOOD
THING - i might als be wrong.

anyway, so the moral of the story is: sometimes a little change can go a
long way (ask any smoker at the end of a long month). (i tried to thnk
of a suitably "my word"-y aphorism to bend here, but am clearly not fit
to lick the brogues of the estimable messr.s muir and norden, who are
truly grate!
this was the best i could come up with: come on, kids, dye young!

also, i have now finally caught up my backlog, and hence feel strong
and confident about the coming year. we shall go from strength to
strength, and never falter,  nay, though the sun itself shall fall upon us.
tomorrow should however be clear and sunny, with a light northeaster
blowing in the afternoon. i WILL NOT keep you posted. (doesn't
someone want to be a "will not!"? please - you'd be the hero of teenage
sinistrines everywhere! i would, but i won't, recusing myself out of
geographical considerations. besides, i have a lovely girl called rachel in
one of my classes, and no wills, and hence feel obliged to throw my lot
in with them, vicariously - i've got grate aim!)

thanks to gina and vilkas (i'll get round to another reply sometime) for
replying to the last post, and to rachel fruitloop for welcoming me back
( as well as all the other people who mentioned me - i'm a bit
narcissistic that way!).

love

JohaN

ps. i forgot to mention last time, but i seem to shar my birthday with
stevie! yay! capricorns of the world unite, you have nothing lose except
your inhibitions!

pps. also, i can't for the life of me remember whose album title the
subject comes from. if it's from someone really terrible - yes, i am
embarassed. sorry!