Sinister: Just suppose I'm juxtaposed with you...

Rachel fruitloop blind_lisa at xxx.com
Sat Oct 27 21:12:06 BST 2001

HELOOOOOOO SINISTERINES!
You may notice that I have added "fruitloop" to my name on this
e-mail account, to lessen the confusion between myself and Rachel
O.J...
I have found that if I lose track of reading all of the Sinister
posts, that it takes DAYS to sort through them. But I won't let down
anyone who is looking for my posts as "Cliff Notes" of sorts (as if
anyone would be *waiting* for my post!) So, you know this post is
going to be huge, but it covers a lot of things happening in the
world of Sinister.  You may even find your name mentioned in here!
Sheesh, I feel like I'm writing a gossip column!!  err, well...
anyway, I've divided the comments loosely into topics to heighten
your reading pleasure.

************************FAMILY/HOME WOES************************

Hold onto your hat, cunning Andre, I'm mentioning you AGAIN!!! I know
what it's like to have annoying roomates. I live with 2 members of my
bizarre family, my younger brother and sister (unusual in a different
way than yours is!) My sister ROCKS, she is one of my best friends
and is obsessed with Super Furry Animals.  My brother is another
story. It's so odd that since my brother ran off and got married, our
household has been so peaceful without him.  I never realized how
much he took advantage until he left.  Andre, I hope you can stick it
out until you can move and keep your sanity!

Caleb Ben has pissed off his roommate Ballad (Ballad?  Shit, I'd
probably call him "Livin' On A Prayer," that would really get him
mad, of course I'd never know it, would I?!) Well, CB, AKA RAW... I
don't envy you.  These family/roommate situations get messy
sometimes, don't they?!

You aren't going to believe that I am about to link this to my
bizarro family:
Big Stu wrote of a concoction called WKD: "it may be in some way
responsible for me feeling as rough as a badger's crotch
this morning." I was highly amused by this quote, in fact, I almost
put it in the section at the end with my favorite quotes.  The reason
I really like it, though, is because my paternal grandmother's
nickname is "Badger".  No lie.  She even signs her e-mails to me
"Love, Granny Badger"  So I found it very amusing that Big Stu woke
up feeling as rough as my granny's crotch!

*******************MUSIC: TDC-RIP, SFA, B&S*********************

There has been quite a bit of mourning on the list over the breakup
of The Divine Comedy, mainly from PSI who wrote: "Before I go - good
to see you are all paying tribute to TDC in some way or
another." I will pay tribute by listening to "Something For The
Weekend" which is my favorite Divine Comedy song. Actually, I might
not, after what GEOFF had to say: "My hatred of The DC comes from
their release of 'Something for the weekend' at the same time
as SFA anthem 'Something 4 the weekend'.  These records were
distinguishable by far more than a numerical word..."  OH CRIKIE, I
am a dumb American valley girl and I didn't even *think* about the
correlation!  Super Furry Animals ROCK MY WORLD (thanks to my kid
sister)!!! OK I'll pay tribute to the demise of the Divine Comedy by
listening to SFA's "Something 4 The Weekend" instead!   Anyone else
out there still listening to SFA's new album 3 or 4 times a day?

Ernie wrote:"And to think that they did “Don’t Fear the Reaper” by
Blue Oyster Cult at the Olympia who but nobody has mentioned it!
Attendees of shows, please provide us with more reviews if possible!"
Yeah, I want to hear more about this, too!  I am amazed at how many
songs B&S have covered! I'd like to see a list of cover songs that
they have played live... does one exist or can we compile one?

James the Dancin'-Hatchback wrote about the new "Waking Up To Us":"I
think after a few more listen's I'll really like it. Cay pointed out
that they seem to be going in a very 60's direction lately and that
sounds good to me."
I haven't heard it yet, but I am so excited that it's apparently
going in that '60's direction, because I REALLY loved "legal Man" for
that reason!

And Histrianic H wrote: "Yes, I have a new blue fender strat!!!"
OHHHH That's grate! Do you name your instruments?  I do.  I named my
car, too.  My guitar is named Louise.  My car is named Ziggy
Stardust!

OH, OH - Another "Car Christening"
Kirsten Kenyon wrote: "mandee wright is completely rad because she
can link oatmeal to the flight of the navigator and also because she
just named my car "spacepet."
Oatmeal?  Flight of The Navigator?  What?! Spacepet! A good name for
a car!

Welcome to Amy in Michigan!  Amy wrote: "i'm curious if anyone out
there has an mp3 of belle and sebastian doing "alone again or" live.
i'm so enchanted with the idea of them doing that song and am dying
inside to hear it."

And then the PINEFOX (did I just write that?  No! It's your
imagination!) wrote: "If I had it I would send it to you. Not just a
copy, but my copy. It would be a good thing to get rid of.
The song is way overrated."

AND THEN Amy wrote: "i'll take your invisible "alone again or" off of
your hands any day. i love the simple whimsy of the song. sue me."

AND THEN THE PINEFOX SUED AMY APPLECORE!

Well, not yet. I'm waiting for the next installment!! *bites nails*

***********MIXTAPE BATTLE OF WILLS v. RACHELS v. CHRIS'***********

AMY APPLECORE, you really should consider becoming "Rachel Apple
Jacks"  I read what you wrote about making a mix tape and I liked
what I read. And I LOVE "Alone Again or" and I think I'd LOVE IT EVEN
MORE if I heard B&S play it.  So if you get a copy of that, let me
know! I want to tell ya, well, you don't have to BE a Rachel to be a
Rachel, ya know!  This is the last call for participants!  We will
begin at some point next week, so any of you out there who want to
participate, please send me a note!  I'm talkin' to you,
PIDDLEMONKEY!! I think we can manage to come up with a breakfast
related name for you as well... hmm... how about "Rachel
Griddlemonkey"?

Archel Toast wrote: "so, the mix tape battle commences!  the rachels
have far too much style and charm not to win.  (plus we're all
sleeping with the judge, obviously.  see you later, ken.)"

And then Will Spike said : "But we have better puns with our name.
Through sheer Will power, we will prevail and prove once and for all
where there is a Will, there is a way."
You Wills may have better puns with your name, but we Rachels have
better BUNS with our name! *wink, nudge*

Johan wrote of joining the battle: "i would, but i won't, recusing
myself out of geographical considerations. besides, i have a lovely
girl called rachel in one of my classes, and no wills, and hence feel
obliged to throw my lot in with them, vicariously - i've got grate
aim!)"
I have one thing to say about that: !VIVA RACHELS!

David the Stankin' Cooter wrote: "WILLS VS RACHELS VS CHRISES MIXTAPE
CHALLENGE MADNESS Um, I’d love to join in this one as an honorary
somethingorother with a humorous nickname, but unfortunately I don’t
have a tape deck. If any of you would like me on your team, though,
please email me for my postal address. You can then post Ken Chu out
to me directly, and I’ll play him some songs round at my place,
making sure to swap the CDs over really quickly between
songs. It’s the next best thing, I promise you."
Ok, David, sounds like a deal!  But if there is a pink necktie around
the doorknob, come 'round in about an hour (or should we say 2 hours,
Mr. "Red Bull" Chu? tee hee!) And for participating in such a
proactive way, I think we should call you "Rachel Stankin' Doughnut".

Marybeth wrote:
"R is for Rachel
 A is for achel
 C is for chel
 H is for hel
 E is for el
 L is for l"
I nearly lost it when I read that!  It's ridiculously funny!  Thanks
for being our cheerleader, Marybeth!

Paul Arathoon wrote: "All of this talk about rachels, wills etc makes
me dizzy. It's very confusing."
Don't worry Paul, the Rachels are about to erase the confusion by
making the BEST MIXTAPE EVER!

Jim Gilmer wrote:"I have to say, I don't think I want to be a Rachel
or a Will. No, I'm quite happy staying a Jim, sometimes even a James,
and very rarely a Jimmy or Jimmy G."
How 'bout a Jamie?  I love that name. It's sexy.  Thanks for
complimenting the mix cd you heard that I had made for dear Elise!
Even though your vouch for my mixtape prowess doesn't seem to
intimidate the Wills, that's ok. We know.

*************THE GREAT NURSERY HEIST OF 2001***********************

Welcome to Helen from Brazil who is saw B&S 2 days in a row!!!
Caleb Ben has been busy organizing his translation game with Helen
and the gang!

Welcome to Tina, who is just out of the nursery and posted her site
link with lots of cool B&S pictures--including 2 of me and Dustin
Smartly-dressed dancing onstage with them and looking like dorky
demons!  Whooo!  Thanks Tina!  I am so happy to have proof that it
wasn't all a dream!

Also welcome to Jason from Ottawa!!  And hello to Erin from Seattle
(but California by trade!)!  And Alex in NY!!! And Hello Eric in NY!
And Fabio and Maira in Brazil, who got to see B&S!!!!

I want to know how you all managed to escape from the nursery without
my dear sweetie Ryan!!  Ryan, were you busy playing video games and
missed your chance to climb over the little plastic gate?

AND A HUGE WELCOME TO KENNETH P Y CHU!  What a coincidence that you
share the same name and same town of residence with the legendary
listee, Ken Chu!  I hope no Rachels wind up in the wrong Ken Chu's
bed in the process of trying to swing the mixtape battle our way! ;)

*****************LOVE, ROMANCE, & LACK THEREOF*****************

JohnJohn wrote a lovely observation of two birds he saw: "but even
the birds’ love could be shattered; there’s always competition."
But you could be the better pecker, so don't despair!

And Lindsey wrote: "oops, i thought i loved you, but i was just
kidding?"
Whoa, that's so appropriate for some events in my life lately, too.
What a joke, huh?! Linds, I know what it's like soul sistah!

And Rachel O.J. had a birthday, but unfortunately had her heart
broken Thursday when she found another girl in her boyfriend's bed
(this sounds all too familiar to me. See my birthday at the end of
last month!!) Rach wrote: "he said "i really did love you" did he
HAVE to say that? as if it didn't hurt enough."
Again, Rach, this is ringing SO true to me!!!  Don't you just want to
say you're a self-indugent prick, if you really did love me you would
have been a man and told the truth in the first place instead of
being a deceitful coward!  Guys, we have so much more respect for you
if you'll just be honest with us girls.  You have to know that we're
going to find out the truth eventually and the deceit hurts far worse
than your actual "change of plans."  Respecting us enough to be
upfront and honest really does make a difference.

Ulla wrote of her lost love: "i still felt that maybe i was doing
something wrong and i became more and more silent. until there was
nothing to say really." Oh boy, this is not good for your
self-esteem!  I have the problem of taking it all in like it was my
fault, too, but you have to preserve your self-esteem and know that
he was the coward and instead of being honest with you, he was just
mean and wore you down, until he successfully pushed you away.  You
don't need a boy like this in your life.  You're far too grate for
that stupidity.

ON A HAPPY NOTE, Laura Llew's gentleman caller, Mr. Breams wrote his
tale of being in the presence of said goddess.  awww! It's so cute!

Caleb Ben AKA RAW wrote: "it's so nice to know that someone out there
is thinking about you, smiling to themselves and writing down their
heartbeats to send to you."
YAY!!!!! That's so lovely! I think list crushes are so cute!!!! I'm
developing a brand new one... It's a long story! Maybe I'll talk
about crushes in my next post!

*******WRITINGS: IN JOURNALS, IN ZINES, ON THE WALL****************

Stacey Dahling wrote 3 very lovely and detailed posts about her UK
travels meeting up with Sinisterines and having revelations!  Thanks
for sharing, I felt like I was there with you.  And I wish I could
keep a journal as diligently as you can!

Gordon, your post with over a week of your life yet to come was fab!
You're so silly and I adore the way you let it show!

Ken Chu fought in a war with a vending machine and lost.  And I got
scared because I really thought he got mugged by something human!!
You're so clever!!

Brier Random wrote the subject line "I'm going back to new york city,
I do believe I've had enough" and then said in his P.S. "Thanks to
the Beastie Boys for providing my subject line via Bob Dylan, who
produced the text from whence was ripped."  I was excited that I got
that one, I dunno why! Not why I got it, that's because i listen to
the Beastie Boys, but why I was so excited by it.  Maybe I'm just
excited that Brier is so clever! It was a perfect subject line for
his post about going to NYC.  I hope you have a grate trip!  I hope
you go to the huge Toys R Us in Times Square.  I want to go.

Rich. Gill. is reading books that have "Screw" in the title because
he's a boy! ;)

Mark Hester notified us: "Struan has been mentioned in PHYSICS WORLD,
of all places!" He also mentioned a gig being ruined by shit djs and
opening bands, which I have experienced as well. You said "Paul
Haswell" and it reminded me of a girl I used to know from Florida who
met a "Paul Haswell" on the internet and ran off with him and got
married. So watch your list crushes, OK people!

Someone posted that a listee had a hand in writing a review on the
2nd B&S show in L.A. in Mojo Magazine!!  I'm going to look for that
issue right away.  And sorry I accidentally deleted that post before
i could give credit to the 2 said people reporting... but thanks,
that's so GRATE!!!!

Idleberry wrote: "We’ve decided to make the cover a different colour
for every issue. Its very simple. There’s no pictures on
the front, or contents lists or anything. Just the name of the
fanzine written across it diagonally." Brilliant, I think!  I'd buy
that zine and, furthermore I'd like to collect that zine not just
because of the cover, but because it seems pretty cool. So, how would
one go about doing that?

Youn wrote a beautiful post about an old photograph and an alarm
clock.

Will Salt posted a grate description of the Dundee picnic last
weekend, with full McGonagall-like verse!  Well done, my man!  Well
done! I'm glad that you all had a wonderful time!

********************SOME OTHER STUFF******************************

I KNOW darn well that I shouldn't mention THE PINEFOX AGAIN (right
Robster?  Right Big Stu?) but The Pinefox wrote: "It's nothing like
Bonnie Tyler" So I have to say that I was excited to read this
because I have been known to wail "Turn around, Briigghhhhht eyes!"
whilst walking through the supermarket with a very embarrassed best
friend.  It's not that she isn't a "fan" of Bonnie Tyler's "Total
Eclipse of the Heart" (well, actually she isn't) it's just that I
don't care if people look at us when I sing along to the bad music
piped in to my shopping experience!  She does.

Ken Chu wrote this, which is nearly enough to get him a crush vote:
"I just thought I'd mention a fox made of pine, cos
that somewhat rhymed."  Of course the crush vote would be from the
PF, not from me!  Well, okay, maybe from me...

Poor ill Astrid wrote: "i always watched macgyver when i was a kid,
but my mum had to read the sublines for me, i hadn´t learnt to read
by then." The thought of MacGyver with subtitles to me is hilarious!
I used to watch the show, too.  That's how I learned to make a bomb
out of a stick of chewing gum, the wrapper and some coca-cola.  I
hope that info wasn't lost in the translation.

Speaking of losing in the translation, the game that a handful of us
are doing, translating b&s lyrics from language to language to see
what we end up with is going to be really funny, I think!

Kate is getting her hair cut, and wrote: "It will now be about
shoulder length instead of to my belly button."  Just be sure that
you don't change your mind at the last second and put up a hand to
block the scissors and end up cutting yourself again!!! :)

*************Favorite Quotes From Recent Posts**********************

Joe "Rachel Pancake" Vester wrote my most favorite statement of all:
"you had to PAY to get into St. Paul's Cathederal. It's a CHURCH for
CRISSAKE."

Richard Gillanders wrote my second favorite statement: "perhaps I
could catch a matinée.  less effort required than catching a
manatee.  I keep imagining."

I want to say that it's exciting to have all of the new kids out of
the nursery. I love reading about all of the interactons between you
lot all over the world, and it makes me feel a lot less lonely.
Shout outs to THE RACHELS (Rachael in Australia, are you in for the
mixtape battle?) and to Beautiful Elsie and Sean, Juju Cat, Katie
Cheeriodle, Kirsten Kenyon, Ernie, Danny Farrell, and of course, that
special boy Ryan.  Until next time...

Love to all of you,
Rachel fruitloop