Sinister: Waiting for the great leap forward

JAMES GILMER patchworkz7 at xxx.com
Mon Oct 29 20:53:38 GMT 2001

The Dadaists had it right, it's an absurd world, the only answer to it is
absurdity.

Which is what I tried to tell the police when they arrested me for throwing
live salmon at people, but cops just don't understand Art, do they?*

Subject line comes compliments of Billy Bragg, who I've been marathon
listening to since Amy Longcore mentioned him in her hello post. I think the
subject line sums up how I'm feeling at the moment, the sooner we have a
leap forward the better, because it's the 21st century and things feel like
we've set the wayback machine for 1955.

Odd times.

Anyways, I feel like a star because Shawn (of the dynamic due Shawn and
Emily) mentioned me in a post, though he did call me "Jim Gilmer (the nicest
man in Michigan)"

Hmmm, I think I'm going to have to go kick a puppy or start chucking rocks
at old people or something, this 'nicest man' image is ruining my 'punk
rock' image.

Besides, I think Shawn gets the Nicest Man in Michigan title, especially
after providing that comprehensive covers list. He needs to post a bit more,
it's always good to see the Michigan peeps representing.

What's up with old Grand Rapids? It's like Michigan's Sinister Central, as
it hosts four of our Sinister comrades. Bit more happening of a town than I
would have thought.

Rachel Fruitloop (and does she not have the coolest posts?) suggested that I
become a Jaime, and I have to say no to that, I don't think I'm a Jaime.
Elise thinks I'm a Jimmie, which she informs me is the name of those
sprinkles one puts on ice cream.

Let's see, I'm colourful, sweet, and I go great with ice cream. Yes, I
suppose I'm a Jimmie.

Will isn't fazed by Rachel Fruitloop's mix tape-fu, but having seen and
heard a bit of the fruity-loopy goodness of her skills, I think it's going
to be a tough fight.

I went to a Halloween party last night, only it wasn't much of a party, more
like a bunch of us (not in costume) going to a local bar. The poor waitress
was ace and put up with us far better than most would have. She even came by
and sat with us because she said we were amusing and she gave me a lighter,
which was odd since I don't smoke, but the others were jealous because she
sat next to me and I got the lighter.

Girls dig nice guys, no matter what popular opinion says.

I need friends who can hold their alcohol better though, i drank the most
and I was still the soberest of the lot of us, and I had to drive the other
poor drunk slobs to get coffee and food after the bar closed.

There's nothing quite as strange as a 24-hour breakfest joint after the bar
closes. The place we ended up in was called Lil' Chief, just think of it as
Denny's with a different name.

You find the most interesting specimens of humanity in after-hours breakfest
joints.

So we had a bit of crap food and I dropped them off and came home and it was
a Good Night.

It's already the end of October and I'm wondering where it went to, it seems
like just yesterday I was flipping the calender over from september.

Does anyone else out there like Poe? I mean the singer, not old Edgar Allen.
I've been listening to her album "Haunted" quite a bit lately, especially
since I'm rereading her brother's utterly mad novel HOUSE OF LEAVES.

"Haunted" is the perfect October album, it makes you feel like autumn and
you can smell the burning leaves and see the colours changing on the trees
in old, dark woods as you listen to it.

Everyone should be listening to The Shins. I haven't been able to stop
listening to "New Slang" since Kirsten played her cd at the Great Lakes
picnic. Songs like "New Slang" is why music was invented.

Kirsten said; "meepmeep", and I think that really sums everything up.

It's a Zen thing.

Jim (*who's never really thrown fish at anyone...well, not since grade
school anyways)

"Most people get to 40 and have a midlife crisis, and that's just boring.
They bore their friends by going around saying, "What's it all about? What's
the point?" I thought it might be at least more entertaining to go
spectacularly mad and start worshipping a snake and declaring myself to be a
magician. It's been immense fun." - Alan Moore