Sinister: trying to sell a sucker a style

lindsey baker beautifulconfusion at xxx.com
Tue Oct 30 01:00:27 GMT 2001

hello sinister.

halloween shenanigens have hit the newsroom, and i am frightened to say that
the few spangled and feathered masks floating around down here have been
worn by almost every staffer except your miss lou.

thank goodness, as i was never much of one for communal images.

we always have candy down here, and i do think the gossip and innuendos and
cheap posed attitudes serve as masks enough to say that every day down here
might, in fact, be halloween.

which leads me to talking about my halloween costume.

i have decided to be the same thing as i was last hallow's eve. a bride.
yes. me.

in white.

after labor day. yikes.

the reasoning for this decision is actually threefold:

1. i was planning to be velma from the illustrious scooby doo gang. and
those of you who have had the privilege of seeing my photo will have to
agree that i would have made the perfect velma, albeit with daphne's facial
features. he he
but. the boy. who was to be shaggy. well. he's having fun with that other
girl who's apparently more fun than me. so. next reason.

2. dressing up as a bride is fun fun fun. glitter and tulle and flowers and
miles of fabric. i'm a girl, and when i wear big dresses, i get especially
happily girly.

and finally 3. i am never getting married, so wearing a wedding dress every
halloween is the perfect excuse for me to wear the dress! and, if i ever
happen to get married, i'll be wearing a dress on halloween anyway, so
halloween can be the blessed day for the blessed and unexpected event. i am
quite happy about this new tradition i am about to instill, but, in the back
of my mind i hear...

...danny.

lindsey you must not think like this.

and people keep telling me that i'll get married one day and blah blah blah

the same old comforting shit from the same old people getting ready to don
costumes over costumes for the party at the end of the week.

the party is at the managing editor's house. my cronies, the news desk,
pretty easily despise the managing editor. so. costumes over costumes.
arrive at the door with gin and fake smiles and leave on the arm of whatever
sports writer was nearest and more drunk than you.

this does not sound fun. which is why reason two in the list above is so
important. the glitter and tulle and such.

so. friday. i will be a puffy sweet-smelling cloud of bridal goodness. and i
will be the most single bride to ever run around lincoln. maybe. he he

at any rate. long live miss havisham.

and as i intend to close this chapter in haiku-lou's latest stage of grief
over her ever-present love crises, i suddenly realize i should send some
kind of post with some kind of content.

so.

i loaned out my boy with the arab strap cd a bit ago and still haven't
gotten it back. this makes me happy that i must have spawned another
ravenous b&s fan. but. bwtas is my favorite b&s. and. i. want. it. back.

love.

lindsey