Sinister: it's winter now i waken

Kirsten Kenyon chinacat81 at xxx.com
Tue Oct 30 05:32:00 GMT 2001

  so it's not really winter...it feels like it.  it feels good.  the
cold led me to hurry to my car after work tonight, and i worried for
a bit when my key would not turn in the lock. it wasn't that cold.
glancing through the window, i wondered when and why and in what
state of mind i had purchased this month's issue of "cosmopolitan."
looking more closely, i then wondered when and how i had acquired a
baby, necessitating the small white child's seat in the back of the
car.  i looked around for a moment, then removed my key and walked
two spaces over to my own car.  no "cosmopolitan."  no baby seat.
the key turned and i got in and shivered.  partly because of the
cold, and partly because something just felt creepy.  it wasn't a big
deal..i was just really glad....
   i'm starting a new job on thursday, serving all varieties of
noodles to the good people of brookfield.  they're all talking at the
shop...placing small bets on how long i'll last before i come
crawling back.  i probably will, too.  i'll probably be a fine noodle
bar employee for two weeks, and then one morning ann will go in to
open the shop and when she turns on the lights she'll see me standing
outside with my nose pressed against the window, shivering in my
beloved girl scouts shirt and clutching a plastic grocery bag full of
cds, pleading please not to send me back, they make me wear a uniform
and listen to wklh.  and they'll take me back, i know.  it's good to
know.  it's an okay job.
   besides that, it's just nice to have something...stable.
 i've been thinking about the holidays.  the christmas tree went up
in the mall today, which is almost terrifying.  my mom wants to go to
the cayman islands for christmas.  the whole family.  it's a nice
idea, but it would be like this:  mom and dad walking on the beach.
allie picking up boys.  david and kirsten sitting in a tiki bar.  the
whole time.  i told my mom that, and she reluctantly admitted it
herself and i don't think we were really going to go anyway.  i
thought some more...about taking my own little trip after christmas.
i need to stay for christmas....apparently.  the church choir is
still counting on me for the hallelujah chorus, like every year...i'm
surprised they remember me, really.  but they do.  and i have to do
it.  again.  i'm not sure about going anywhere anyway...
   i spoke to a certain ken on the telephone today...cool.  kewl.  he
does a mean jerry springer man-who's-actually-a-woman accent.
   my left leg has been hurting for several days, and i have to say
i'm a bit worried about it.  there's just no reason...i'm a horrible
hypochondriac.
   sitting in the grey stairwell on my break reading a book this
evening...there's a man who has walked past and found me that way
nearly every day for the past year and a half.  and every day, the
same conversation.
   "good book?"
    "hm?  oh, yes.  quite."
   "good, good."
  then he usually says something about how it's not really that nasty
outside and that i should go downstairs and join him for a smoke on
the sidewalk, and i always say no, thank you.  but he says it anyway,
every time.  it is a good book, anyway.
   my leg is hurting something fierce.  i must have meepmeeped into a
parked car or something. *sigh*
  love
   kirsten

Care2 make the world greener!