Sinister: another dc bit (with a bit of b&s in it)

Ian Rivamonte irivamon at xxx.com
Tue Oct 30 17:56:57 GMT 2001

I remember around 1998 I was listening to my Sinister album when my mom gave
me my mail in my room.  In it was this envelope from England.  Mind you, I
didn't know anyone from England at the time besides the people on my walls.
I looked at it very carefully, then finally realizing that it was probably a
solicitation from Setanta, because of the return address, about an upcoming
Divine Comedy release or something.

I opened it, and lo and behold it was a hand written postcard from Neil
Hannon himself!

So the story begins...

About 3 months prior to my receipt of the postcard, I had this really
awkward dream about the Divine Comedy.  Before going to bed, I saw that
hilarious picture of Blur mimicking Blondie with Damon in that dress and all
that.  Anyways, as I fell asleep I dreamed that Neil was doing "Alfie" ala
Blondie in my university campus.  He looked freaky as all hell.  I
immediately woke up and thought, "I have to document this dream."  So I did,
with every detail still fresh in my memory.

So, I wrote it down and told my friend about it.  He insisted that I mail it
to Neil c/o Setanta Records in the UK just to get a reaction from him or
something.  "The worse that can happen is he doesn't respond," said my
friend.  I figured, "I can afford $0.66 to post this, why not?"  So I did
and added a little tidbit in there about how my car broke down and I wasn't
able to drive up to L.A. to see him play at this teeny-weenie club there
much to my dismay.

And now I received this postcard.  In it, he wrote (not verbatim):

Dear Ian,

Very funny dream you had there!  Just to reassure you, I never wore a dress
while I'm on stage.  But you gave me a very good idea and might try it
sometime.  Ha!  Ha!  I'm sorry about your automobile problems.  Pleasant
dreams...

Neil xoxo

Anyways, that's that.

Cheers,