Sinister: a fine powder potion for my dreams

Youn J. Noh ynoh at xxx.edu
Tue Oct 30 22:31:31 GMT 2001

> P.S. alot of people recently have mentioned how much they love 'judy
> and the dream of horses'.  i always thought of this song as a bit
> throwaway and not really a song to end an album on

I listened to IYFS for the first time in a long time yesterday, and I was
struck by this line in the song: "I don't know you if you're gonna show me
everything".  There's the obvious contradiction.  Then there's the strange
combination of tenses (future for the antecedent, present for the
consequent) so that the line has a reading that can be paraphrased as "If
you show me everything, then it will be as though, all along, I didn't
know you."  So it could be a wish to be spared confessions, but perhaps,
more than that, a comment on the impossibility of ever completely knowing
another person.

And what is 'everything'?  Is the line (just) a plea for chastity?

As for our preferences, maybe we look for traces of our own experience.

I was set to declare Danson Hatcher the new Robin Stout when Robin
returned to regale us with a new set of tales.

This, from Robin:
> Apparently the "suspicious white powder" that was found in a
> sorting office in Bradford last week turned out to be a crushed packet
> of Love Hearts.

and this, from Danson:
> I was f**ked and had no intention of going anywhere for some time, my
> saviour appeared in the form of two suger sachets and a sachet of noodle
> seasoning , the sugar was lovely but the noodle seasoning was a *bit*
> hot.  Eating this just resulted in me feeeling sick and gasping for
> air/water/ice cubes, much to the amusement of passing drivers.

are among the best things I've read this week.  If only my life were that
interesting.  And when Genevieve announces that she is going away to eat
a pomegranate, how is it that the fruit seems so much more exotic than it
already is?

For those under 20, this should be an incredible time of year for you.  In
your first year of college, that first crush, how it will return to haunt
you!  Hopefully, not with a gorilla suit, though.