Sinister: A spooky witch in a sexy dress

Rachel fruitloop blind_lisa at xxx.com
Wed Oct 31 00:06:20 GMT 2001

HELLOOOO SINISTEREENS!
The clocks have been put back an hour, the pumpkin has been carved,
the costume is nearly (almost?) planned out, and I'm ready for some
cider...yes, indeed, the season has arrived!
I have a pomegranite tree in my backyard...the fruits are hanging
heavy and spilling onto the slatted patio covering.  Some are even
falling through and splattering onto the concrete like little bloody
heads.  It's all so very ghastly!  And would you believe it, it's
raining in Los Angeles today!  Hooray!

In the words of Lindsey Baker: "halloween shenanigens have hit the
newsroom"
HALLOWEEN IS A FOOT (especially when you're wearing Halloween socks!)

***************A SINISTER HALLOWEEN/FASHION
REPORT********************

LINDSEY BAKER will dress as a blushing bride and says that she will
continue to do so, just in case someone feels like tricking her into
marriage, then she'll be dressed for the occasion! I have said for a
while that if I ever get married I want it to be on Halloween so I
can dress as The Bride of Frankenstein!  My mother would be so proud!
;)
AMY APPLE JACKS contemplated being Strawberry Shortcake or a
Campbell's Soup Kid, but settled for the Old Coked Out Whore, which
is scarier but doesn't smell nearly as yummy (or let's hope you don't
prefer the scent!)  My co-workers call me Strawberry Shortcake
because of my red bowl haircut, but I have since thrown out my
strawberry lipgloss (not really) because a certain boy I know hates
to be reminded of his childhood and the aforementioned strawberry
scented doll! He knows who he is ;) He don't love me, he just love my
'berry style!  Truth is, I don't have a pinnafore. Or a pink cat.

KIRSTEN KENYON  wrote: "we drank some....and i found some shimmery
blue powder and we started having fun....leslie got out shiny grey
garbage bags, and we found glitter and tape....and within fifteen
minutes we were three mod spacewomen, and i kept saying "meepmeep"
and melissa kept walking with her arms at her sides and her hands out
at a ninety degree angle, and leslie kept taking photographs."
Yeah, Kirst, I expect to get some of these photos in my mailbox asap,
I'll bet you looked cuuuute!!!! ;) I hope you didn't meepmeep the
camera when leslie took the pics!

ROBYN FADDEN wrote: " i put some wings and glitter on. and my red
boots, which i really think are what fairies would wear if they
needed shoes. later i drank some gin out of a jar for a while. from
what i observed it seemed a lot of people were dressed as hunter s.
thompson. or maybe just *like* him."
I think fairies would definitely wear red boots, and drink gin out of
a jar, but I think fairies might steer clear of Hunter S. but I
suppose that's what the jar of gin is for!!

LAURA LLEW wrote earlier this month: "for Halloween when I shall be
Isadora Quagmire (http://www.lemonysnicket.com/tc_isadora.html) and
yes, I plan to do that exact expression for the entire day and speak
only in couplets."  I am curious to know how that works out for you
miss Llew!!  I think you win a prize for the best costume idea!!!!

ASM WALTON wrote: "Amy Apple Jacks mentioned Hallowe'en parties. I
went to one last night, at Feather-Boa's house. It was fun. People
were dressed in black with black nail polish and all the rest of it.
List Lurkers Gina and Mr Hallifax were both in attendance, and there
was at least one ex-member there too. I didn't see F-B. By all
accounts she spent most of the night hugging her toilet." OHHHH NO,
Feather Boa!!!  Missed your own party because you had a hot date with
some cold linoleum! :(
I hope the rest of you lot had fun!

And on a Halloween-related note, RACHEL CORNFLAKE wrote:"alas he told
me I resembled Gargamel, the bad guy who was always trying to catch
the Smurfs.  OK, first I was a little frightened.  But then he
explained why: because when I'm not smiling, I look like I'm plotting
something "sinister"!!  He actually called me Sinister.  Little does
he know...."  What a coincidence!  I called my boss Gargamel the
other day and he started laughing really really hard!!!  He also was
looking sinister!

*******************SWINGIN' SINISTERS UNDER 20********************

Rachel Cornflake wrote: "I'm starting an imaginary club for Sinister
kids.  Those of us 20 and under.  We'll embrace each other in our
underage bliss.  I just like to imagine frollicing with Astrid and
Jenowl."  Kate cut-up is in that crowd, too!  As is Erin: Punctuation
Menace.  And Staralful. And Matt Henderson.  I'm sure there are many
more of you!!! Like Rachels Grapenut and Orange Juice, for instance!

In rebuttal, Ken Chu said: "There has been a lot of talks about a
Sinister under20's love club, I think it is grossly unfair idea, for
I have just turned 21 a few months ago, and have therefore missed
out." Well, Ken don't fret.  There are plenty of us here who are over
20 as well.  In fact, I am contemplating starting the imaginary
Sinister Retirement Community (why are they always called
"communities!") for all of the listees edging their way towards 30
and beyond. (yeah there must be like 3 or 4 of us on the list!)
Luckily, Mr. Chu, we look young enough to join the youngsters at
their makeout party, and act it, too! So we get the best of both
worlds! By the way Chuey, what's your sign? ;) Do you post here
often?

Not to be a name dropper or anything, but SHAWN KRUEGER wrote: "Plus,
I must surely be a lot older than the majority of you....and nothing
good usually comes from listening to your elders." and he also posted
a list of B&S's cover song performances which was grate! THANK YOU
SHAWN!!!

***************THE ELATION OF (R)E-LATIONSHIPS********************

Caleb Ben (A.K.A. RAW) wrote: " of course this is all very sudden, i
admit, but it's just such a marvelous feeling to revel in, i really
think it's going to be THE fashionable thing to do this autumn. you'd
be smart to jump on the wagon folks, cause the love train's about to
leave the station.... :)"

Well, I think Caleb Ben is right! Stamp my ticket, baby!  I have
butterfly stomach for Mr Ben Apps!

Rach Cornflake wrote about her dilemma of whether or not to go visit
her Pennsylvania boy over winter break. I'd say just be very careful.
Be sure that you have a safe situation when you visit. I think it's
good to meet, since you get along so well on the phone and through
e-mails, so that it brings more realism into it. So I'd say yeah,
check it out, but maybe bring a friend or something, be safe. And
check out colleges while you're back east, for real! Especially if
your visit with the boy goes well! ;)

And just look what Chu had to say:
"The moral of the story is.. um.. that girls should invite Ken out to
dates soon.  and that red bull is great."

********************MIXING TO BEAT DOWN YOUR WILL*******************

Ken, the next time I come 'round your place to bribe you to win the
Mixtape competition, will you go out with me?  I think you already
went out with me in your dreams, except my eyes are usually more blue
than green, but maybe they just *looked* green in your dream because
of all of the american dollars I was foolishly trying to slip to you
across the table reflecting up in my eyes. Sure, I was trying to palm
a c-note to you, but I also wanted to hold your hand, really. I
swear.

Desmond Torpey wrote: "...all this mixtaping is mighty confusing...i
cant remember which will is which and whether rachel is a cornflake
or a fruitloop so i'll stay out of it and just await the
results...i've got £10 on the dastardly mr chu making a late entry
and stealing the title himself with his army of fellow kens
(livingstone,branagh,clarke etc)..my what a mixtape team that would
be..."
Well, don't fear Des, I will be introducing the Revolutionaries of
the !Viva Rachels! movement in a post to come very soon!  An army of
Kens swooping in and winning the battle is a fairly far-fetched idea
since we Rachels plan to keep Mr. Chu so "busy" that he won't have
time for making mixtapes to beat us with. We're sending in our
gratest ally to make sweet music with him, A certain miss Kirsten
Kenyon! But he is very shrewd indeed... hmmm. Are you getting all of
this, Rachels? Be on full alert!

Punk Raque Jimmie G. wrote: "Anyways, I feel like a star because
Shawn (of the dynamic due Shawn and Emily) mentioned me in a post,
though he did call me "Jim Gilmer (the nicest man in Michigan)"
Jim, I think Shawn might be right about that one, you are REALLY
SWEET, you know! I'm a fan! And not just because you say I give good
mix! ;)

******************BELLE & SEBASTIAN OBSERVATIONS*********************

Daniela in Brazil wrote: "He said we had to leave that place cause
the security guard could find us. But he asked us to follow him. We
followed the guy, followed him a little bit more, and when we
realized...WE WERE ON THE STAGE. WE WERE ON THE STAGE WITH B AND S
WATCHING THEM PLAYING." Wow!!!!  That is more than a twee triumph,
that's a mighty conquering!!! Awesome Daniela!

Hannah Brown wrote: "On friday me and some friends stayed up late and
played cards, we put on "feeling sinister" and my friend told me that
that album will always remind him of me. I thought that was a really
grate thing to say and it made me smile for ages."
This is a lovely compliment, indeed.  I hope that someone says that
to me someday, too!  I think that's probably the nicest compliment
when people tell you that music that you love reminds them of you!

Rob S. wrote the most beautiful wonderful thing: "i look at the sky
and think of how everything in my lifetime is going to change beyond
recognition. and am i scared. maybe or maybe not. but thank you belle
and sebastian, because never before have i so-much been able to apply
your music to my life...."
I couldn't agree with you more, Rob.  The lyrics and music of Belle &
Sebastian say everything I can't form into words, and that is why I
can't imagine life without them. Even as I get older, the words still
speak to me, in slightly new and different ways, but I think that is
the most touching aspect of all.

David Moore wrote:"That "Waking Up To Us" cover. Some people have
referred to the "girl" in the photo, so I guess not everyone realises
that it is Sarah (Martin)"  I didn't know that, but now that you
mention it... yeah, it's totally her, dude! She looks almost the same
now, doesn't she?

**********************AUTUMNAL RECKONINGS***************************

Archel, did you read what James Dancin' on the Hatchback wrote?:
"This just in..Sainsburys 15p bread is no more. They've have replaced
it with something of similar quality but upped the price to 19p,
Bastards!"

Archel Toast is now earning her bread money being the twee librarian
type that we all adore!!  Yippeee! She also wrote: "well, i missed
out on my extra hour of sleep today as i forgot the clocks went back
(despite reminding everyone i know yesterday)."
I did the same thing, I felt like a dork.  But I am glad that it has
finally happened and now I feel such joy because even here in the
L.A. area the season seems a bit more real.  I don't like getting out
of work when it's dark, but it's a trade-off!

Maybe I'm just a weirdo, but I like to listen to certain albums
during specific seasons. I LOVE to listen to the Cocteau Twins' album
"Treasure" during this time of year!  What do you all recommend out
there?

Robin wrote: "to think that a Pulp album came out last week and I'm
not listening to it all the time is a bit depressing." I am also a
bit depressed that their album is out and I don't even have it. I
used to count down the days and collect every format, and this new
album COULD BE making it's way into my Autumn album rotation, but...
now, I'm just thinking that I'll get around to buying it
eventually...am I getting old, or am I just lazy? Or is getting lazy
a sign that you're getting on?

I think that I might have to go buy this Poe album, because Jim's
description has me swooning!!!
And I quoth Jim Gilmer, evermore: "Does anyone else out there like
Poe? I mean the singer, not old Edgar Allen. I've been listening to
her album "Haunted" quite a bit lately, especially since I'm
rereading her brother's utterly mad novel HOUSE OF LEAVES. "Haunted"
is the perfect October album, it makes you feel like autumn and you
can smell the burning leaves and see the colours changing on the
trees in old, dark woods as you listen to it."

Genevieve posted a grate poem "seeing as it's monday and all, that
used to be The Sacred Feast of the Poetry Parrot."  she also said of
Blue Oyster Cult "my special friend cried out 'Not B.O.C! Horrible!'
but that just made me laugh - I didn't know they were referred to as
Bee Oh Cee." Yeah, you know I had no idea about B.O.C. but it sure is
fun!  I like to abbreviate things like saying "The H is O" instead of
saying "The heat is on" but I stole that from Saturday Night Live.
Maybe that's why I'm the only one who laughs when I say it. I also
like to sing "The heater's on" to the tune of "The Heat Is On", and
make my own horn section, whenever I have to turn on the heat. You
should try it.  And laughing at your own dorkiness and dancing around
like an idiot really warms you up!

I'm happy to hear that you're well enough to be back at uni, Fiona!

I'm going to leave you with my favorite sinister quote from the last
2 days: "Yeah I'm making up my own holidays dude"-Kenneth P Y Chu

Love to you all,
(and huge hugs for Ryan, Elise & Sean, Juju, The Rachels, and Mr. B!)
Rachel fruitloop