Sinister: ramblings from the southern hemisphere .....

Lawrence Mikkelsen mikelsen at xxx.nz
Wed Oct 31 08:18:10 GMT 2001

hello folks .....

It's been a long time since I've posted, mainly because I've been tied up
with wedding stuff. Which has been a bit nerve wracking. Plus getting our
new place together, which has, again, been a bit nerve wracking. I am
currently trying to sort out my legion of CDs. I lost count somewhere past
600, and right now I am just trying to work out a storage solution, other
than being "stored" in a higgledy-piggledy fashion in a series of shoe boxes
and the like. I want a big bookshelf type arrangement for them all, so they
can finally be alphabestied. Jeez ... I'm starting to sound like the guys in
"High Fidelity" aren't I?

Anyway, my main reason for posting was merely to reassert myself as New
Zealand's biggest poster. In my wedding-preparation-absence, another
Aucklander has come out of the woodwork - Cunning Andre - which was a little
disturbing. Two posts in as many days from someone I didn't know existed,
in a land not know for it's wealth of B&S fans. I digress .... but hopefully
there will be the first inaugural Sinister Auckland picnic sometime before
or
after Christmas. Exciting times. I am designing a flyer and planning the
days as we speak.
(sad bastard!)

So, a few new things in the B&S camp .....

Firstly, *THE COVER OF THE NEW SINGLE*.

It's a cracker! The dog looks like my dearly departed beagle-cross, Suzy,
who sadly left us in '99, just a few days after "Tigermilk" was released on
CD. I always link the two in my mind, so that LP has happy/sad feelings. Is
that Sarah on the cover? Whoever it is ... she's lovely and I want to be her
friend. There's something wonderful about a girl and a dog. All of a man's
needs in one tidy package.

and also *STORYTELLING*
When does this open in the civilised world/Northern hemisphere? (It won't
hit
NZ for at least 6 months, if at all, I'd wager.) I am still eagerly watching
my inbox for any news about the forthcoming soundtrack album. I hope it's a
bunch of new stuff. It seems like such a long time since "Fold Your Hands
...." came out. I need a new B&S CD which lasts longer than 10 minutes.

Also .....

*THE DIVINE COMEDY VS. BELLE & SEBASTIAN*
Well, not really. But I've been listening to "Liberation" a lot lately. it's
my favourite of their albums. Anyway, my question is .......

"As a loving pastiche of 80's synthpop, which song is better .....
a) 'Electronic Renaissance by Belle & Sebastian, or ...
b) 'Europop' by The Divine Comedy.

Answers on the back of an email please.

Sad that the DC has split, although I guess Neil Hannon essentially *is* The
Divine Comedy, and hopefully he'll keep working under that name.

and, more to the point ....
*SPEARMINT*

Are they any good? I ordered "Oklahoma" (their Christmas themed album) the
other day, having been recommended them by a few usually trustworthy people.
And  like the idea of Christmas albums ... especially as there are only 9
weeks 'till Christmas. Anyone care to let me know what I'm in for? Somewhere
I read that they "were like a Postcard band" which made me quite excited.

*********************************
Stuff of little interest to most listees, but included on the basis it maybe
of *some* interest to *some* listees. Feel free to skip.
*********************************

For anyone who's interested in New Zealand music, APRA (Australasian
Performing Rights Assoc., I think) published a list of the top 30 New
Zealand songs of all time. it's a bit of a joke, but here's the list.

for those who can't be bothered clicking on the link, here's the list .....
1. Nature, Wayne Mason (Fourmyula, 1969)
2. Don't Dream It's Over, Neil Finn (Crowded House, 1987)
3. Loyal, Dave Dobbyn (1988)
4. Counting The Beat, Phil Judd/Mark Hough/ Wayne Stevens (The Swingers,
1981)
5. Six Months In A Leaky Boat, Tim Finn (Split Enz, 1982)
6. Sway, Bic Runga (1997)
7. Slice Of Heaven, Dave Dobbyn (Dave Dobbyn with Herbs, 1986)
8. Victoria, Jordan Luck (Dance Exponents, 1982)
9. She Speeds, Shayne Carter (StraitjacketFits, 1987)
10. April Sun In Cuba Paul Hewson/Marc Hunter (Dragon, 1978)
11. I Got You, Neil Finn (Split Enz, 1980)
12. Whaling, Dave Dobbyn (DD Smash, 1984)
13. Not Given Lightly, Chris Knox (1990)
14. Pink Frost, Martin Phillipps (The Chills, 1984)
15. Jesus I Was Evil, Darcy Clay (1997)
16. Weather With You, Tim Finn/Neil Finn (Crowded House, 1991)
17. Blue Smoke, Ruru Karaitiana (Pixie Williams and the Ruru Karaitiana
Quartet, 1949)
18. Dance All Around the World, Corben Simpson, Geoff Murphy (Blerta, 1972)
19. Lydia, Julia Deans (Fur Patrol, 2000)
20. Blue Lady, Graham Brazier (Hello Sailor, 1977)
21. Drive, Bic Runga (1996)
22. Chains, Che Fu/DLT/Angus McNaughton/Kevin Rangihuna (1996)
23. Dominion Road, Don McGlashan (Muttonbirds, 1993)
24. Glad I'm Not a Kennedy, Shona Laing (1986)
25. I Hope I Never, Tim Finn (Split Enz, 1980)
26. Tears, Fane Flaws/Arthur Baysting (Crocodiles, 1980)
27. Be Mine Tonight, Dave Dobbyn/Ian Morris (Th'Dudes,1978)
28. I See Red, Tim Finn (Split Enz, 1979)
29. Beside You, Dave Dobbyn (1998)
30. Home Again, Karl Kippenberger/Tom Larkin/Phil Knight/Jon Toogood
(Shihad, 1997)

"Nature" was a good choice .......
Interesting that, according to APRA, 11 of the NZ's top 30 songs are written
by either Dave Dobbyn, Tim or Neil Finn. In my opinion Martin Phillipps has
written as many classic pop moments as Neil Finn. Certainly, that "Husband
House" by The Sneaky Feelings , or anything by The Clean for that matter,
weren't included, is nothing short of blasphemous. The list seemed to
largely ignore the whole Flying Nun scene, which was sad.
A friend of mine was at the awards, and said that in the video montage that
was shown, Flying Nun hardly got a look in.

OK, off to bed ......

sleep tight, listees,

Lawrence