Sinister: screech of the siren

Helen McLean helen at xxx.au
Wed Oct 31 17:01:24 GMT 2001

Hello again,

Back with even less content than ever before.

Tonight my local park is ablaze. The bush all around it gets set fire
to at least once a year. Everything is smoky outside and there is a
faint orange glow if I look in the parkerly direction. (And I think I
just made up a word) Its like the whole street is some dodgy pub or
club. Atmospheric even. Except with pensioners in their robe's
shuffling out to have a look at the fire and the smoke and mutter to
themselves about hooligans and the youth of today. There's nothing
like a good blaze to get the neighbourhood talking.

Robin Stout returned (yay) with some stories of office life. I too,
always listened to anecdotes of others about such things but never
realised how insane offices can be. At my work we have a woman who has
a small obsession with watching planes fly, and so at the slightest
sound of a plane flying overhead (which can happen quite often) she
will literally drop everything and bolt out the door and will be
staring at the sky smiling. I was confused about this for awhile,
no-one having explained this strange running ritual of hers to me for
a couple of weeks at least. You would be in the middle of a
conversation about such exciting things such as filing and and she
would suddenly turn her head and then run away really fast for no
apparant reason. It was certainly baffling. I often wonder whether she
really likes watching planes at all, or whether over the twenty odd
years she has worked for the company she has figured out a bizarre way
of avoiding questions and work.

Halloween. We actually had a group of trick or treater's tonight, and
not living in America but in Australia where not very many people do
that kind of thing, I hovered awkwardly at the door not quite sure
what the protocol was. Thankfully I have watched enough US television
to have some semblance of what to do. We didn't have anything to give.
I searched through the pantry and came up with either some tins of
tuna or corned beef. It would certainly have been good if we could
have gotten rid of that corned beef, it has been sitting in there for
years it seems. But that would be like kicking Tiny Tim in the shins.
Instead I found some can's of lemonade and sheepishly went back and
gave it to them. Well, it was all we had with a great deal of sugar in
it. They looked none too impressed though. I think they went out on
this venture expecting mountains of sweets and were probably going to
come back with something along the lines of a canned food drive. We're
just not prepared for this sort of thing here.

New single is presumably out soon here too? Anyone with news on
Australian release dates, or are they pretty much the same? Hell I'll
probably end up paying double for an import anyway but it's nice to
know :)

Right, well, bye.

Helen