Sinister: It is always raining inside the sea.

Youn J. Noh ynoh at xxx.edu
Sat Sep 1 06:51:09 BST 2001

> home (home!)

The second time, how was it pronounced?  An urgent whisper, a hoarse
croak, silently intoned?  If it had been a friend's name, would your arm
have fallen limp at your side before the coda?  Or would you have waved
even more frantically, a plastered grin, cowlick, raindrops (or tears)
caught in your lashes?

It is always raining inside me.

'97-'98 was the winter of El Nino.  It rains in winter here.  The basement
of Green Library flooded.  The grad students volunteered to rescue the
books.  Penny organized them.  I didn't help.  All the lit books are
down there, too.  Denton Welch's books remained intact.  But trudging to
the library (to study!), shoes and socks soaked through beneath the desk
for hours.  How did we do it?

Checking the paper for weather reports in Columbus, London, San Francisco.
San Francisco is always colder than you would expect.  In London two weeks
of intense heat mid-July then back from Paris in mid-August and it was
over.  Over!  Nothing like the way it plays out here.  And in Columbus day
and night without relief, the stifling heat, the humidity, the green tea
shampoo I used that summer.  But this summer I stayed indoors mostly, so
I wouldn't know.

> old Foxgloves song 'Chicken In A Bucket'

Foxes and Chickens do not mix.  Foxglove1 needs to work on his southern
drawl.

> the San Francisco picnic, in all its exotic improbability

There was a meet up at Dalva in June of '99.  I think five people
attended.  San Francisco is not exotic.  It is homely.  But I'll be
looking for girls with flowers in their hair.