Sinister: Michael Owen is a god

Sam Walton samwaltonyeah at xxx.com
Sat Sep 1 23:56:59 BST 2001

Compare this subject line with a post of mine from May this year:
http://www.missprint.org/sinister/mhonarc/200105/msg00135.html

Hello, by the way

Please indulge me, if you will, for a few lines. Tonight I was witness to an
event I will remember for the rest of my life. Some people ask "Where were
you when JFK was shot/Diana died?", but I have a suspicion that many English
boys and girls of our generation will ask "Where were you when ENGLAND BEAT
GERMANY 5-1 IN MUNICH?", and I will remember every glorious minute* for a
long time to come. I decided earlier on not to post about this, because it's
a bit, well, **off-topic**, but heck, I just have. And it does have a link
to B&S, since both football and B&S have an inexplicable way of making me
ridiculously happy, given the right siutation of course. A joyous event it
was, without a doubt.

Not being one, however, to submit a single-issue post, I'll now quote/refer:

Somebody was posting about their addiction to girls named Kate, and I smiled
wryly, for I have the same addiction, and assumed that it was just a
coincidence. My Kate thing extends to people called Catherine too. I think
I've had **obsessions** with five of them, goddammit. It's scary, I tell
you. To make it sound less scary though I've thought of a friendlier word
than 'obsession'. See, a friend of mine was reading an Edgar Alan Poe short
story about a guy was described as having 'monomania' - intense fixations
about one particular thing. You get the picture. It sounds like a medical
condition, which allows me to abdicate responsibility slightly, I suppose.
Is it possible to have lots of concurrent monomanias? Or d'you think that's
polymania? Hmmm...

Rob's photos of the London picnic were lovely. I do love a well-taken
monotone picture. The other pictures of his on his site are nice too.
They're better than the ones that I took of B&S and Jarvis at Benicassim.

Peter Carter's airport exploits sound terribly exciting. Personally, I think
it was something to do with the boy Carter himself. No one with a haircut
**that rebellious** could expect to be anonymous to the mob, surely. Then
again, Chu's haircut was similar, and he's thought to **run** the mob. The
mind boggles...

The new Bjork record is strange. I'm slowly getting into it. I 'get' about
half of it at the moment. The new Mercury Rev, however, is totally gorgeous.
If it had a form (other than a small silvery disc/large black disc, duh) it
would be a huge, incredibly soft cushion which you could just sink into and
embrace, apart from a couple of tracks which would just be big dark brooding
forests.

I think that's about it.

To the supporters of whoever's playing Liverpool on Saturday: love and pity,

To the rest of you: just plain love (ain't that enough?),

Asm.x

P.S. MIGMK is being strangely silent over my list of 90s songwriters. Why
could this be?

*which obviously doesn't include the first six, where we played like a pub
side.