Sinister: Oh, my goodness

P F pinefox1 at xxx.com
Sun Sep 2 15:47:34 BST 2001

There is still much to be said about the astonishing
events of yesterday. Possibly some of it will even be
said. But before all that, it's necessary to talk
about shock and sadness. Brian Moore has died at a
mere 69. He didn't even get to see England's finest
hour (I suppose that means the last 60 minutes). Today
Barry Davies came on the BBC in white trousers and
black blazer and spoke of Brian and his love for the
language like a man who knew the language inside out
himself. He hardly needed 'questions' - he simply
talked, but not rambling off like every other sausage
in the world of sport - no, Barry simply told us what
he had to say about this man who had died. "A nice
guy... a very genuine fellow... a great broadcaster...
and I emphasize the word *broadcaster*". This, if
anything, was what television was for.

There follows a page's silence in memory of a
Gillingham fan.

As he used to say himself, when he was anchoring The
Big Match: Bye-bye.