Sinister: Edinburgh Picnic- stop press

Gordon gogron at xxx.uk
Mon Sep 3 02:31:52 BST 2001

Hullo again.
After some to-ing and fro-ing, if not to say toeing and frolicking yet,
a bunch of us have decided that a nice place for our picnic (that is,
the soonest Scottish one, as plenty are going on or are being planned
for elsewhere too) would be Edinburgh's Royal Botanic Gardens. 2pm, 15th
Sept, 2001. Although I suspect that consumption of picnics amongst their
prized collection of 'representatives of most families of flowering
plants, conifers, cycads, ferns and their allies - nearly 17,000
species' might have to be somewhat on the discreet side, we can always
go to the pub after (nearby Stockbridge has some nice ones) and, if it's
raining, there's a hothouse full of exotic things. The idea is that's
it's simply a rather attractive and interesting place to meet up. And
it's free to get in.

The link below describes what buses to catch, etc:
http://www.rbge.org.uk/visitor/visinfo.htm#inverleith

This map may also be of assistance:
http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?scale=25000&X=325000&Y=676000&gride=324852&gridn=675560&width=700&height=400&client=M6&db=&overviewmap=&coordsys=gb&down.x=15&down.y=21

The gardens are in the middle, at the top. Waverley station is towards
the middle, on the right. I hope the link works... if not, try the
multimap.com site.
The main entrance is on Aboretum Place. If anyone wants to meet earlier
at, say, Waverly Station, let me know and, of course, please E-mail  if
you have any other queries.
Unfortunately, in the blurry and latter stages of the picnic by the sea,
my mobile phone disappeared... elsewhere. If someone who does posess the
requisite equipment would like to offer to be mobile networker on the
day that would be cool. Richard?
OKYDOKY. I think that's about it. Now that there seem to be a few people
definitely on board, the whole thing is gaining momentum and, hopefully,
lots of you will be able to come.

I still want to gatecrash Harry's party, though :)

Gordon