Sinister: postpostpostpostpost i'm posting

colin thornton colinboy21 at xxx.com
Tue Sep 4 14:20:03 BST 2001

I've officially popped my picnic cherry, and I have a KAPOW Batman badge to
prove it.  I've been wearing the "Wonderful Wisconsin" yellow sun visor all
weekend because Kirsten let me steal it.  Ms. Kenyon, by the way, has
regrets about losing her anonymity- so I'll just let the cat out of the bag
before she crawls back into her hiding place:  she is Peurto Rican, and she
looks like Jennifer Lopez (speaks with a lovely carribean dialect).

It is important, I think, to visit the actual lakes of the picninc title.
My friends and I climbed up the sand dunes and rolled down the other side
toward the beach.  The ladies thought it a shame that Thomas Green-Jeans and
I didn't jump in, but we enjoyed the beach-side view (aside from the giant
factory stack on the horizon) while they frolicked in the water with their
clothes on.  I made a sand alien (complete with sea shell eyes) and I
performed an autopsy on it using various pebbles as organs.  Nobody liked my
joke of making a sand embryo and performing a beach abortion on it, so I
won't mention that.

My friends have been trying to organize their thoughts about
what-it-takes-to-be-a-bellandsebastian-fan and how did we all become twee.
It wasn't until I got home from the great lakes that I realized my answer.

My mother showed me pictures of her as a child.  I realized that everyone
had a twee childhood in the 50s.  We are the last generation to be ripped
from a twee childhood and thrust into a world of video games and action
figures.  I liked the transition at the time, but now I'm mourning the loss
of twee things- like the joys of making snow men in my corduroy coat or
launching persimmons at my neighbor friends in a game of "war".  Of course,
I always tend to get a bit over-dramatic when dealing with the subject of
childhood, but it seems like children don't even have a chance now to avoid
techno-crap-crap.

In dealing with this new-found thought process, I've decided to get a job at
the Imaginarium (the educational branch of The Toys R Us).  No video games,
no action figures- just twee toys and equipment.  I'm not quite sure how
friends and family will react to me working at both a toy store and a
lipstick kiosk, but anyway...

Secret decoder rings,
Colin (or Road-Trip Tink)

P.s. Amy- Charlie Rose said in his interview "we about had a Jihad with the
situation" and I danced about because your word was kinda used, but I sulked
when the other person said "Yeah, a real 'holy war'".  Can I call you
malaprop Amy from now on?