Sinister: wanted: someone with guitar knowledge

idleberry idleberry at xxx.com
Tue Sep 4 18:21:38 BST 2001

hey you lot, I need help.

I've been playing my guitar, but I'm not very good at
it. No really, I'm not.
And whenever I tell my guitar playing friends about
it, they give me the same piece of golden advice:

Learn to play your favourite song.

Well, you know, I try. But I'm not very good at it, so
I end up making up my own wee ditties, cos I get so
frustrated.

Time and time again, they sit there, and then if I'm
telling them about my frustrations, they draw closer
to me, as if they're about to tell me this wonderful
undiscovered secret of guitar playing that nobody has
ever told me before. And every time, I get vaguely
excited, hoping that they are going to tell me
something new. But they don't. They tell me the golden
advice.

So I try. how I try. But I really only end up making a
total hatchet job of any song thats ever been
composed.
Seriously, I'm not kidding. I can make Isobel Campbell
into a frankenstein elvis monster. You think I'm
exagerating? nope. Family tree has the same tabs as
Amazing Grace. Its a recipe for disaster.

My boyfriend and I had a quarrel regarding this a wee
while ago. He asked in the end, if I thought anybody
found it easy to learn to play guitar. Of course they
didn't.
But in the light of things at the time, I wasn't going
to admit to it, cos I was feeling extremely upset and
unhappy about the whole situation, and was really
considering selling my guitars, which broke my heart
to think about. Plus, I was in a sulk, and I hate
admitting anyone else is right, if I'm in a sulk.

And sometimes I get really disheartened about the
whole thing. It frustrates the hell out of me.
Especially when I realise that I'm making Family Tree
sound like Leavin' On a Jet Plane (also has similar
tabs. Or is it Blowin' in the wind? Oh, I dunno- I
play them all the same anyway. And I don't know how
not to.)

So what do I want?

Well, someone to actually teach me properly would be a
start. Someone to teach me who lives in the Glasgow/
Edinburgh area. Face to face. And I'll see about
coughing up* some cash for your time/ energy/
patience/ as a bribe to stop you bitching about me to
everyone on sinister.
(*my lungs are like the royal mint. Every time I get
flu ten pound notes come flying out my wind pipes.
Thats not true. But its such a silly phrase I think.)
Someone who has the patience of a saint and knows
their way around a fretboard and whatnot. Someone who
likes a challenge.
I was thinking earlier in the year about getting
lessons when I came back to Scotland, but you know,I
think its important to meet someone who'll teach me
and who is nice and someone I can trust to be gentle
with me.

Anyway, I'd really appreciate it if anyone thinks they
can help me.

And please, save the speil about "learn how to play
your favourite songs". Cos thats the bit I'm having
trouble with.

Ha! I'm stumbling with the easy bit!

FOR THE HARDCORE SINISTERIANS

you know that www.another.com have the e mail domains
of most of the B+S crew?
so you can get ilovestewart.co.uk

Unfortunately, no Ilovehoney.co.uk, ilovekenchu.co.uk,
ilovemick.co.uk or iloveisobel.co.uk

i wasn't looking to find one for me.. honest to god. I
was actually browisng for isolation.co.uk...
yeah yeah, you believe me...

bet you wore bros t shirts when you were little.

okay, enough from me for the second time today,

love
idles
*waiting for your call*

*still waiting...*

*drums her fingers while she waits*

*takes up knitting*

*realises idles needs knitting lessons*
*says "to hell with it" and settles for watching
Cartoon Network instead.*

=====
http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/corduroysmoke and the world did get covered in a thick haze of corduroy smoke. And it felt good.