Sinister: a warning here: there are no jokes here. no fun here. just stuff about a picnic in edinburgh here. this is not a regular post here.

Richard Gillanders r_gillanders at xxx.com
Wed Sep 5 19:52:37 BST 2001

okay.

we need some: okay.

now more than ever.

so.  okay.

here is the new and FINAL outline [it's an outline]
for the edinburgh picnic.  I am allowed room to tweak.
 if necessary.  tweaking isn't a bad thing.  it's just
another way of saying refining.

so.  it was bowling.  now it isn't.  it was botanic
gardens.  very briefly.  now it isn't.  it was almost
the meadows.  but it's not.  it's princes street
gardens.

reasoning [don't read this if you like to just have
faith in other peoples' judgement]:
there's grass.
benches too.  if you like those.
there's a sheltering part up towards princes street.
there's, like, a big monument and some big galleries
and a big castle 'n' that around.
there are nice pubs up on rose street.
all of this requires no bussing and not a fantastical
amount of walking.  but walking's good.

princes street gardens.  you can eat.  you can drink.
you can smoke.  you can talk.  you can have dogs.
these are requirements.

the waverley station at two p.m. on saturday the
fifteenth of september, two thousand and one.

in case that's confusing:

WHERE: the bit outside whsmith's in waverley station.
WHEN:  2 p.m., 15/09/2001.

I'm less confused now.

meet us there and then.

or.  phone one of the numbers at the end of this post
and ask the person who answers to tell you where the
bloody hell they are.

and they should.  do that.

how you will find people in this waverley:  look for a
group of mildly twee looking people shying away from
each other and from everyone else.  and stand next to
them.  and shy away from them.  and everyone else.

we will proceed to an as yet undecided spot in the
gardens.  I'll decide soon.  and you'll know in
advance.  and we'll sit down.  probably.  most of us.
and eat the food we brought and drink the drink we
brought and smoke the cigarettes we brought and talk
up the thoughts we brought and pet the dog we brought.

ahem.

if it rains.  we'll head up to the sheltering and
finish our food and drinks and stuff.  or just head
straight to a pub.  a specific pub hasn't been
selected yet.  I'll do that too.

so.  I know of quite a few people who have said they
will be in attendance.  there are some coming from
other countries!  even!  well.  yeah.  so.  but.  you
don't need to know anyone else.  you can just show up.
 and people will do their best to make you feel
welcome.  and we'll have fun.  right?

hopefully it'll be a VERY NICE DAY.

yeah.

I suppose that's it.  for now.