Sinister: Thank god for mental illness... Opening Night of the tour...

Mikesjobeck at xxx.com Mikesjobeck at xxx.com
Fri Sep 7 00:14:37 BST 2001

Its beyond me how in the span of 3 days the usually ego-centric/smoggy/horrid
stench what is Los Angeles could be so completely transformed into a
whimsical paradise of free-love
and uncommon serenity!!!  :)
Even as I drove the freeways in a panic stricken urgency, so as to be
positive I would not miss one single 1/8th of a note!   Lanes were opening up
before me:) A cheerful old lady in her 1975 ford granata waved to me and gave
me the thumbs up sign!  And simultaneously an expanse of purplish twilight
extended itself so peacefully out over the whole of Southern California as my
car stereo was blasting out a trail blaze collage, of belle and sebastians
greatest hits!!!  (Volumes 1996-2001)
Honestly!!!  there REALLY was something so un-imaginably beautiful in the air
before the show:)  And what a SHOW!!!!!  So many smashing HITS!!!  a showcase
of everlastingly clever LYRICS!!!!  And sensational strings and brass to
perfectly embellish it all!!!!  just LOVELY!!!!!  I'll admit it though, the
band were just a wee bit nervous at times or even star-struck perhaps???  But
the soul of the performance shone through the whole while, ever so genuinely
and touching:)
My friend, Anton Newcombe (singer of the brianjonestown massacre)  had a
slightly more critical ear remarking that they shoud not of used any
pre-recordings but in the end agreed it was all so extraordinary and
spectacular!!!  (swags off of the whisky and gin bottles)  (crouching down
for long drags and up like a fire breathing dragon)  I'll rate it like this

Lighting and stage A+   Sound and Performance A-  volume could have used a
little boost
 but the dynamics were dead aim!!!    Dancing A+   just FAB!!!  and FUNNY
too:)
Song Selection???  Suspiciously enough one of the greatest records of the
20th century was slighted and ignored!!! :/  Luckily enough, their material
is so vast and brilliant one hardly even noticed this, except for me mum!!
she was quite frankly, un-rully!!! when they darely had the nerve to pass
over her most beloved  "the fox in the snow"  :(  =s >>> A-
Cheer up mum!  You know theres always Brazil and Japan!?!?!?  Oh!!!!   but It
was truely a wonder for me to finally after all these years get a chance to
hear and see the greatest  band in the universe!!
(sorry Anton)  ok,ok,ok  the 2nd GREATEST band in the universe!!!!
Indeed,  I SIMPLY LOVED it:):):):):):):)
For everybody involved in the Westcoast "pic a nics" I extend my hand in
gratitude and look very much forward to meeting you all in person and of
course the games:)
Especially the Angelina Jolie look alike pinata bash!!!  :p
and whatever else there is??  Leap Frog??  Frisbee??  Freezetag??
Croquette?? "Futball"??   Hardboiled colourful egg toss??   Oh, its fun to be
a kid again:)

Cheers Ian!!!!
And have fun at the show tonight...
  Le pastie de la bourgeoise!!!!!

And to everyone else in "Sinister Land"  all the best smiles...

Mike