Sinister: The Art Of Forming A Band - and the trouble that it brings.

Astrid Wiezell astrid.wiezell at xxx.se
Fri Sep 7 11:51:20 BST 2001

Hi!

First of all, I hope that all of you sinisteree´s who are or already have seen B&S had or will have a great time! I am dead jelaous, but I won´t sit here feeling sorry for myself, I should be grateful that they tour at all. I could just sit around and sulk, because I´m only 15, but I chose not to, it´s not that fun you know.

Last night, at the youth club, me and three of my friends, Kine, Anna and Indra decided to form a band. We had just been down in the rehearsal room and just acted really strange, i.e Kine standing screaming as loud  as she managed to, me playing pretendguitar and screaming along, Anna sitting on an amp looking bored and Indra behind the drumkit hitting the drumsticks against eachother. It was dead strange, but quite fun. We were about to call ouselves the incompetent bears. Why, you may wonder. I have no idea. Kine just screamed it, on swedish. Haha.

But today, one of the girls in a twin couple that have just started our school said that she could play the bass, which we thought was grate. But then, she said "Well, my sister, Sofia, she´s magnificent on guitar! She can do all these cool riff´s and stuff!" and the others said like "Well, bring her!". But then, guitar is my instrument, and sure, you can have two guitarists in a band, I don´t mind, but then, I want to be the better one, not the one in the background strumming chords. I can´t take barchords, especially not f or fm, and I am now scared to bits that they won´t think I´m good enough. And our bassist, Emma, said like "Well, I´ve got some lyrics" and it was about a blind rabbit or something, in swedish, and I think it was like.. punk she wanted us to play...

PUNK! I can´t play PUNK!! I want to play silly and lovely pop, not PUNK. I am scared of pun! i just can´t play punk. I know that Anna don´t want to play punk either, but then, Indra and Kine want to, i think. They seemed quite enthusiastic about it. I feel quite bad about it - I don´t think that I´m that good on guitar, and, It´s embarrassing, and I´ve never been in  a band before, and stuff like that. Emma and Sofia had been in a band called Ass-sweat before, and that seems like a typical punkband. Eeek. Help me, older and wiser sinisteree´s, for I am truly confused and afraid that I won´t be able to play the music I want to, and that they will think that I´m really bad. Ah, I´m rpbably just being silly, but I don´t want ot disappoint anyone.

Ok, so Indra can´t play the drums yet, Kine´s voice ain´t that good, and Anna can´t play anything (she´s supposed to play the tambourine I think) and then Emma, sure, she can play bass. I wanted this to start out as just being with your friends and trying to come up anything, not starting directly really hardcore. Oh, Sorry for this stupid post, but being 15 and confused isn´t that easy.

Take care,

Astrid xxx