Sinister: Los Angeles #2

Brier Random brier at xxx.com
Fri Sep 7 17:28:30 BST 2001

Hi Kids,

Well.... it's all over.  Anticipation replaced by memories.  Show #2 was
*almost* as good as the first one.  After neglecting to play anything from
the Sinister LP the first night, they busted out THREE songs from it last
night.  And their cover of "Creeque Alley" by The Mamas & The Papas was
definately the highlight for me.  If you don't know the song, find it &
listen to it, then imagine B&S doing it, smiling, trading verses.  Magical.

Setlist:

Sleep The Clock Around
I Know Where The Summer Goes
The Boy With The Arab Strap
Family Tree
Legal Man
Simple Things
There’s Too Much Love
Women’s Realm
The Wrong Girl
Jonathan David
The Magic of a Kind Word
Dog On Wheels
Fox In The Snow
If You’re Feeling Sinister
Creeque Alley (The Mamas & The Papas)
Dirty Dream #2
Don’t Leave The Light On Baby
Like Dylan In The Movies

If i've forgotten any, let me know.  Or we could ask our loveable little
Rachel Cornflake, who was at the very frontest front row, peering up
Isobel's dress.  Maybe she stole a setlist.  Anyway, seeing the band changes
everything.  To put some faces to the music really makes it even more
personal.  Stevie is the *BEST*.  I *love* Stevie.  He's so damn cute, and
when he sings without his guitar (as in Jonathan David) he looks so shy &
slightly awkward.  The nearest I can explain is: Stuart is Ferris Bueller,
and Stevie is his friend Cameron.  And the trumpet sounded perfect.  It was
amazing really, listening to the trumpet: every note sounded exactly like it
came right off the record.  I guess there's only so many sounds a trumpet
can make, but it sounded perfect.  And Sarah really does look like a little
kid, I thought she was Isobel's niece or something, that it was some kind of
"take your daughter to work" day, but i wish she sang "Waiting For The Moon
To Rise" and had her moment in the spotlight.  And Isobel's voice, I used to
think there was a certain amount of studio trickery to make it sound so
sweet & sugary, but there it is in person, man..... there it is.  Breathy
and sticky, like a warm erotic secret whispered in your ear by the hot
breath of a lover.  Wonderful.

I hope everyone got to meet Stuart after the show.  He's nicer than you can
imagine.

And if anyone knows the girl who got pulled onstage to sing "Take Me Out To
The Ballgame", or know someone who knows her, I *might* have some photos of
her up there.

And at the end of the evening, Stuart promised us that he'd be back soon,
"It won't take us another 6 years."  So that's reassuring.  Although a year
is still a long time in pop music.

Floating......

~Brier