Sinister: i'd rather be fat than be confused

Kirsten Kenyon chinacat81 at xxx.com
Sun Sep 9 04:06:32 BST 2001

  i haven't had much to write about lately.  i went out and bought a
new composition book today and sat down with a pen, and nothing
came.  it's a pity to have a brand-new notebook and nothing to
write.  i'm afraid that speaks volumes about my very existence in
this city...opportunity without motivation.  and rooms full of
potentially-interesting people i'm too shy to meet, their numbers
nearly matched by the dozens of interesting people i've met who, for
one reason another, i never call.  one thing that's interesting about
this place is that nearly everyone makes eye-contact as they pass,
only for a moment, making me wonder what they're thinking and what
they've been doing to keep themselves entertained all day.  probably
just drugs.
  drugs, studies, and music seem to be the dominant uniting factors
among people my age.  i don't do drugs, and my half-hearted attempts
at independent study hardly make for quality conversation in that
realm.  and music...being far too poor to go about spending money on
records has done its part to drain my confidence in discussing
anything released after 1998.  maybe these are the reasons why i
always find myself engaged in lengthy conversations with middle-aged
men.  another possibility, of course, is that single 50-year-old men
are hopelessly drawn to lone girls who, while comfortably past the
minimum age requirement for "consenting adults," still look young
enough to get carded every time they buy cigarettes.
  i've decided that another factor contributing to my lack of
youthful companionship is that most people my age have made the
necessary connections to obtain fake IDs, enabling them to stuff
themselves into noisy, crowded "college bars" and, given the
confidence provided by massive consumption of cheap beer, meet
attractive strangers to politely push out the door in the morning.
maybe that's not exactly "companionship," but it does seem to be a
more popular past-time among 20-year-old people than sitting on a
plastic chair, drinking tea and dodging a 54-year-old man
persistently attempting to sell them bootlegged recordings of brahms'
liebeslieder waltzes..."cheap."
  in any case, last night was the first time in ages i'd sat down
with someone whose hair was bubble-gum pink by choice, as opposed to
faintly purplish in the sun as a side effect of silver chic hairdye
in a shade called "frosted twilight."  it was strange...i sort of
felt like her grandmother, assuming her grandmother smoke parliament
lights and giggles at dirty jokes.
  i guess that's all.
  xoxo
kirsten (who, regrettably, looks like neither jennifer lopez nor
kirsten dunst)

Care2 make the world greener!