Sinister: San Francisco Performance

bookworm_trochet at xxx.com bookworm_trochet at xxx.com
Sun Sep 9 18:23:53 BST 2001

Hello!

Holly here, and last night, my sister and I got to see Belle and Sebastian live!!! It was worth all the effort to get down to SF and definitely worth wasting all the time in that mall.

As for the show, (which is probably what you're interested in) it was, of course, fantastic, although I didn't care for the guy who opened for them. The only thing to REALLY mar the occasion was some idiot who had evidently forgotten to take his Ritalin that morning. I had heard many rumors of Stuart's moodiness, but I think he was in a good mood last night, because he made a few jokes and danced around the stage. (Though I have to say, his dancing isn't as entertaining as Thom Yorke's...but then, do we really want it to be?)

If you read the post about the songs played at the L.A. gig, then you have a pretty good idea of what was played last night. I don't remember them all, but a few were (in no particular order):

1. Leader of the Pack (opener, where they had a motorcycle come onstage)
2. Dirty Dream #2
3. Simple Things
4. Slow Graffiti
5. Family Tree
6. Woman's Realm (where they left out the "You slept better in a sleeping train..." part, but oh well)
7. There's Too Much Love (where Stuart messed up and in stead of "I feel like dancing on my own" sang something like, "We all fall down on our asses", at least that's what it sounded like to me)
8. The Model
9. Jonathan David (Poor Stevie was having trouble with his voice, so he and Stuart switched parts so Stevie wouldn't have to try for the high notes)
10. The Wrong Girl (Stevie sang one verse as Johnny Cash, ha ha)
11. Legal Man
12. Fox in the Snow

And that's all I can think of at the moment. Audience members were called up to help during songs, and being the generally good crowd that we were, no one booed at them.

On the balcony (where I was) people started dancing, but the ushers made them stop. (It didn't stop people from trying again later)

I was glad that my sister brought her opera glasses, because it meant I could see people's faces. Sarah has a very sweet face; Isobel looked a little bored, though. Though she was very charming and asked on guy on the floor about his eye-patch. She commented on how striking it was.

I had a lot of fun at that concert, I wish it had lasted longer, though, but then again maybe I don't, because when I got home, I was so exhausted that I fell asleep as soon as my head touched the pillow.

Well, that's it for me.

-Holly
--

FREE Personalized E-mail at Mail.com