Sinister: How to survive a sore throat

MyMomSays at xxx.com MyMomSays at xxx.com
Mon Sep 10 00:56:37 BST 2001

Dear Sinister,

    I'm sorry I've been away so often, Sinister, I've been quite busy with
school and work and all that jazz that seems to interupt my frenzied Internet
addiction. I've been quite jealous of the West coast comrades for being able
to enjoy all these wonderful B&S shows, and not only that, but Juicy Lucy and
I discovered yet another reason to be jealous of the Seattle
listees--according to Carson Daly, we should all be seething with jealousy
because those lucky Seattle folk get to see <gasp> Alanis Morrisette and
Pearl Jam ALL IN ONE NIGHT. Let me say, I was up all night daydreaming about
the possibility of flying to Seattle in one hurried, frantic huff, glazed
over by fandom for Mr. Edward Vedder.
    Just to say, my Jaw was a little bit on the ground when I read a certain
listees post about how she didn't care for "the guy that opened for B&S". I
was shocked, I will not lie. How could one regard The Legendary Jonathan
Richman as just "a guy", and also, juxtaposed with a dislike for him and his
music? It's appalling, let me say. I won't lie.
    But that's just a side note--on a regular note, the real note, I have
been enjoying the company of a certain Ms. Lucy Alder throughout this
weekend, my first proper Sinister mini-picnic, and it has been grand--on
Friday night we drank gin and tonics and debated as to who was the worst
dressed in the joint, as a balding man with a mullet serenaded us with "Joy
to fishes in the deep blue sea.... "... he stumbled by us, staggering, and
said, "I'm sorry, I'm drunk."  I appreciated his honesty.  The weather has
been representin' in regular Colorado style, bipolar, confused, always carry
an umbrella--it's rained heaps. Even started to snow.  I love the feeling of
the sunshine on my face along with a startlingly cool breeze filtering
through the windows.
    Last night I took it upon myself to complete a difficult task--I was on
the drive home from Denver, the lights approaching on the other side of the
highway visible from miles and miles away, blurring together to look like one
enormous light hurling itself through space--the radio was playing some
vague, familiar hits, including an acoustic set of Better than Ezra (I had no
interest. Can you blame me? I switched it off). My sister was in the seat
next to me, snoring lightly--all of a sudden, I tried to imagine every person
I have ever known and what they were doing in that particular slice of one
moment--My friend Ian milling around his apartment looking for soap for which
to wash his feet, Nicole asleep, clutching her teddy bear--Sebastian on his
drive home from the mountains, Lisa and Sarah asleep, they too snoring
lightly--my parents, two mounds of mashed potatoes under piles of blankets,
SportsCenter blaring from a vacuum of silence--and even some of you Sinister
folk that I can only be forced to imagine because I have never encountered
your friendly faces--an early English morning and Ken Chu engaged in
consuming glistening cans of Red Bull--Kirsten Kenyon being awoken by her dog
jumping on her bed with wet paws--it becomes so difficult, so time consuming
to try and imagine this, but at the same time, it just slithers by like a
carousel of slides, one after the other, next, next, click, wait, go back...
it's like my mind stopped even trying, these images just entered my
mind--sort of like how Ray suddenly thinks of the Stay Puft Marshmallow man
in "Ghost Busters". I simply wasn't even trying.
    I guess what I'm getting at is this; you may not have been thinking of me
last night, around 12:30 midnight, but I certainly was thinking of you,
Sinister.

Love and dog-eared paperback novels,
Mandee May