Sinister: The Ladybird's House

colin thornton colinboy21 at xxx.com
Mon Sep 10 15:09:26 BST 2001

For show and tell today, I would like to tell the class about the new movie
"Ghost World".  I can't show the movie because Mom told me that I would go
to jail for violating copyrights and stuff.

Ghost World is a movie by Terry Zwigoff (Crumb); its based on Daniel Clowe's
series of adult comics.  I would call this movie the modern "Catcher in the
Rye".  Its best suited for kids who are in-between high school and college
or people who are generally misanthropic.  Steve Buscemi plays a pathetic
and socially isolated record collector- his character is terrifying because
it might be the future for indie kids.  There are bits of cleverness
throughout the movie but my favorite scene is when Thora Birch wears an S&M
catgirl mask under her black frame glasses.  Its very cute.  If you happen
to live in a lucky city that is showing this movie, then go to it.

My dad brought me episodes of The Real World and Road Rules that he taped; I
don't get cable.  I'm been hopelessly addicted to "reality shows" since they
began in 1991.  I get kind of sad when I watch them now because they develop
such great friendships, and I don't have very many friends near by.  This
might be the summer-fades-to-fall syndrome in which I pity myself for being
socially isolated, but it sucks being a 23 year old single kid (or at least
I feel like a kid) in a new town.  Why can't you all live closer?

Noddy was the best toy.  Acutally, I only had the books, but I bet those
with Noddy toys are very well adjusted.  If only I had a noddy toy!  I know
too much about toys now that I work in a toy store, but I love it.  This is
the first time I've really enjoyed work.  I'm a bit miffed that the manager
and I are the only one's who have graduated college, but I keep reminding
myself that this is only a transitional phase in my life where I'm saving
money for Chicago, which, to be quite honest, will never happen if my
brother insists that I pay for the tuxedo I'm wearing to his wedding, but
now I'm a month ahead and that will be another post entirely.

Lemon sugar pancakes,
Colin