Sinister: the memory of a fab show takes a long time to pass you by

Emily Wilska wilska at xxx.com
Mon Sep 10 21:48:04 BST 2001

Salut,

I'm sure this will all have been covered by the time this message makes
it to you, but dammit, I'm gonna say it anyway: Sunday's San Francisco
show was purely fantastic.  No, really, it was, despite the overzealous
(and, as the show wore on, increasingly drunk) woman whose job entailed
keeping the fire aisles on the floor clear; despite the very tall woman
who kept trying to push in front of me; despite the fact that I had the
chance to chat up the cute boy in the funny fur hat standing near us and
I didn't take it.  None of these things could prevent Jonathan Richman
from being darling, and B&S from being straight-up splendor.

Someone else will, I hope, post the set list in proper order.  I will
simply say that the 'Flowers in Your Hair' song (which may be called,
creatively, 'San Francisco') was charming to the tips of my toes;
'Simple Things', 'Judy and the Dream of Horses', and 'You Made Me Forget
My Dreams' were among my faves, and the whole 'Billie Jean' interlude
was fantastic beyond words.  The moonwalking drum tech was something to
behold, as was Stevie-as-MJ.  When Stuart picked up the Thriller cd from
the piano, I yelled out 'Ebony and Ivory!', only to realize that that's
in fact Stevie Wonder (not Michael Jackson) and Paul McCartney.
Regardless, he did give us a few bars of it, which was swell.

Tempted as I was to attempt to follow the band post-show (to Café du
Nord?), I did the 'responsible' (using the term loosely) thing and went
home so I wouldn't be too useless today at work.  As such, if anyone has
reports of after-gig shenanigans, I'd love to hear them.

It's always a bit of a letdown, isn't it, to return to real life and
work after a few hours in which everything--absolutely everything--seems
to glow.

For now, I'll just try to take that and run with it.

xo
Emily